Not a recipe

jofes, Nov 24, 9:54pm
This is not a recipe but an enquiry to see if anyone knows why my beetroot turned white when I cooked it. It wasn't all of them just 2 or 3 and I hadn't cut into the flesh at all so am very confused.

eastie3, Nov 24, 10:05pm
I didn't know either so googled and learnt that you should leave at least an inch of the root on to prevent 'bleed' during cooking which can leave the Beetroot white. I always cook unpeeled Beetroot and chose smaller sizes.

rainrain1, Nov 24, 10:14pm
Something to do with pigment I would say. some have grown to be that colour

kay141, Nov 24, 10:20pm
Any little break, nick or scratch in the skin will let the colour out.

jofes, Nov 24, 10:56pm
No I didn't cut anything so I think rainrain1 is probably correct

rainrain1, Nov 24, 11:55pm
I have had it happen to one or two sometimes, once cooked is when you notice the colour difference. To cook, I always wash them well, leave the tails uncut, and about an inch of stalk top.

samanya, Nov 25, 5:26am
I do the same & never a problem. but I'm wondering if the beetroots were last seasons & older?

daarhn, Nov 25, 5:34am
Turnip in drag? Hehe

rainrain1, Nov 25, 5:54am
The odd one grows like that, it's got nothing to do with the cooking

pogram0, Jun 3, 11:14am
I don't like beetroot but I remember my mother used to eat it and never ever saw it lose its colour when she boiled them but who knows these days - they do mess around with the plants genetically in an endeavour to 'improve' certain characteristics - maybe this is one of the unintended consequences!