Courgettes in a sauce using Guar gum

pickles7, Jan 12, 4:36am
Guar gum, is used a lot in the food industry. We are slow to use it in home cooking, I decided to give it a shot in this. .

Courgettes
Microwave and cook in a covered dish

4 sliced courgettes
2 tablespoons of water
1 chopped tomato
a little chopped onion
Once cooked
Sprinkle over
1/8 th teaspoon of Guar gum.
1 tablespoon of butter
salt and pepper to taste
stir in and mic 1 more minute.
No water to discard, has to be good for you.

esther-anne, Jan 12, 10:54am
Hi pickles - trust you are ok? So long since I saw you post.

Basically - what is Guar gum? It just has to be more appealing than it's name?

Looking to impress overseas visitors this week - my niece is Head of Domestic Science at a school in the UK and boy can she cook. Would this dish impress with my culinary skills - got to be good for you as you say - but what the heck does it taste like?

davidt4, Jan 12, 7:40pm
Here's a good run-down on guar gum and other gums. As a stabiliser in processed food it sounds relatively harmless unless you have digestion problems, but I avoid it simply because it is an unnecessary additive.

http://chriskresser.com/harmful-or-harmless-guar-gum-locust-bean-gum-and-more

pickles7, Jan 12, 9:07pm
good link david4. it is tasteless esther-anne.

esther-anne, Jan 24, 12:17am
Thank you very much, davidt4 and pickles for extra information.

Certainly the different gums are fascinating to read about - I was so totally ignorant about them.

However in June I was hospitalised for over a week with ulcerative colitis + complications and as Guar gum can have an effect on the digestive system it might be more sensible for me to steer clear of it - I don't want another attack in a hurry.

I'll use my courgettes instead in a rather nice salad I've made before - it has bite-sized cooked chicken, and new potatoes - I have some Jersey Bennes and in this weather served with a green salad I think it will be ok!

Thanks for the enlightenment about various gums - I've bookmarked that to read in full. Maybe will read some more of his articles too!