Field Mushrooms

kabbo, May 6, 10:42pm
Hi. Got given a bag of field mushrooms. Now I love mushrooms eat them all the time ones from the supermarket that is. But do field mushrooms have crawlies in them? ? ?

We had a couple on our lawn, just small ones, and hubby picked them and left them on the outdoor table where they sat for a couple of days. when i picked them up there were all these crawly wormy things underneath. ewwwww.

so are these in any mushrooms? ? ? ? ? am thinking about my field mushrooms that i was thinking of having for tea made into a yummy mushroom sauce and have it on toast.

thanks.

bin-boy-lin, May 6, 10:46pm
They could have but easy to pick, just look around the stalk for any borer type holes, that is a sure sign.

pericles, May 6, 10:47pm
field mushrooms can get worms in them

webbo2, May 6, 10:55pm
Those worms are actually maggots! ha ha bet that's put you off. Most field mushrooms seem to have them, which is why I find them very hard to eat now. Think you are meant to peel field mushrooms. But hey the maggots wont hurt you, we must have eated tonnes of them as kids. Just like a fruit maggot! ! Enjoy...

webbo2, May 6, 10:58pm
The maggots are whitish in colour, I guess they'll die as you cook them, ... if it makes you feel better!

kabbo, May 6, 11:01pm
ewwwww. true? ? um dont think i'll have mushrooms on toast for dinner now lol.
that's put me right off. ;-)

pericles, May 6, 11:02pm
you will see holes around the stalk.
Eaten buckets of field mushrooms over the yrs

harrislucinda, Apr 7, 5:04pm
afreshfield mushroomsdoesnothavewormsthemushroomwith wormswouldbea tleast2days old sitting in paddockjusttimeforworms to arrivehowcan youeatthosethroaway