Veganising Recipes

Page 1 / 2
frances1266, Dec 1, 5:37am
I will do my best to post recipes veganising favourite recipes. Hope others chip in to help. Of course this is to do with the horrific treatment that animals receive. You would be appalled if your cats and dogs were treated like this so make the change.

daarhn, Dec 1, 7:31am
Now if you posted this over in NA & S you would get a rousing discussion on the ethics of vegan v non-vegan and animal slaughter for human consumption. I've posted a thread in Recipes, 'Krishna Foodies & other Religious Followers'. There are some good links for vegan recipes and hidden animal products in everyday foods.

Vegetarian and vegan lifestyles are fads for most folk. Most find it too costly, too hard and too challenging to change into this lifestyle and are flexitarians. It's not all about the diet and what we consume, but how we consume and the ethics and practices surrounding veganism/ vegetarianism that most are not aware of!

Diets and lifestyles have changed vastly over the years. The way we manage our produce is a multibillion dollar industry. Awareness is key as is safe practice, and ethically producing and eating so as the earth is sustainable with low impact to the environment and emissions.

Vegans have Respect for Life

''We believe all animals have a right to life and freedom and deserve to be valued as individuals. Respect for life means an end to all animal use, a world where people choose to receive all nutrition and sustenance from plants, support environmental sustainability, and wherever possible observe animals only in their natural habitat.''

The Vegan Evolution (great information and recipes in here)
http://gentleworld.org/vegan-evolution/

awoftam, Dec 1, 7:34am
I am an omnivore like many creatures on this planet; and I have a huge respect for life. Anyhow, back to OP (not that I know what 'treated like this' actually means).

daarhn, Dec 1, 7:39am

daarhn, Dec 1, 7:46am

rodh, Dec 1, 7:53am
Add bacon to anything and its better

daarhn, Dec 1, 8:09am
back in the barn pig. you're in the wrong trough

rodh, Dec 1, 8:14am
Oink

daarhn, Dec 1, 8:15am
That'll do pig, that'll do

awoftam, Dec 1, 8:18am
I did guess that. However I don't buy in to media sensationalism, which is as sick and ill intentioned as the few that treat the calves the way portrayed.

daarhn, Dec 1, 8:30am
if it requires media sensationalism to highlight how our food is being produced then I say Sensationalize away. People need to be held accountable for any type of inhumane cruelty. I give credit and heartfelt thanks to those that go undercover to show the atrocities that are occurring regular in our food production.

awoftam, Dec 1, 8:37am
Yes they do need to be exposed, and fixing this could be to target the regulatory authorities who are failing as opposed to tarring all farmers with the same brush in the name of good ratings; the majority of whom do not farm like that shown on TV. Sensationalism is an abhorrent and dangerous practice that the NZ media seems to revel in and it has no place in a rational, calm and intelligent society no matter what the story.

rodh, Dec 1, 8:41am
Beer is Vegetarian Right

daarhn, Dec 1, 8:47am
Sensationalism, we generate it by buying into it, watching , purchasing magazines, newspapers, participating online discussion and in general everyday conversations. It sells and makes big bucks, ratings sponsors and we the consumers buy into it on a daily basis. that is what our rational, calm intelligent society is and that is who you/we are as consumers. To challenge the status quo is to challenge ourselves first. That would mean to start with, no tv, no magazines, no news, no gossip, no online, no phones lest you are exposed to sensationalism. What a boring world that would be without all that glitz and glamour and bad/good news stories that have us gathering round the water coolers. We are what we eat and a product of the society we live in! Intelligence is selective. What you can do effective.

daarhn, Dec 1, 8:49am
'Beer is typically made from barley malt, water, hops and yeast and so is often suitable for vegans and vegetarians. But some brewers may use animal products in the filtering process'

awoftam, Dec 1, 8:54am
My view of the world and all in it - and how I interact with it - is quite different.

daarhn, Dec 1, 9:13am
were you not the poster that did a sensationalism derogatory bigoted thread title/topic recently in another board that was totally offensive and unacceptable for an calm rational intelligent society member and the thread to be 'pouffed' into oblivion?

awoftam, Dec 1, 9:42am
Um, no idea. Obviously something upset you - to hold on to the anger? Is that my problem, or yours? Gotta let go or that kinda thing will make you ill. A conundrum of being on the boards.

daarhn, Dec 1, 9:55am
Vegan Mac & Cheeze

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/very-vegan-mac-n-cheeze/

there a lots of popular recipes in here

daarhn, Dec 1, 10:09am
En contraire,. that was your 3rd post for your same reply and the last 2 edits did you no favours. That is sensationalism at it's best and my point I was making in my previous posts. Sensationalism is useful it exposes the seedy side of people and their practice that is unacceptable for a calm rational intelligent society. Abuse, animal cruelty, bigotry et alia, all need a degree of sensationalism to expose, stop and change for the greater good. As rational people it is our role to question and challenge. Consider yourself sensationalized. Now if you have a recipe of a fav that can be converted to a vegan meal please post.

awoftam, Dec 1, 10:27am
Au. Au contraire. Not en. And it was at least 5.

You take me more seriously that I ever take myself, Daarhn.

Sweet dreams.

frances1266, Dec 1, 6:04pm
One Green Planet is a fantastic site for vegan recipes.

jbsouthland, Dec 1, 7:22pm
Substituting Apple purée for eggs in baking brownies is a great tip!
Somebody posted the recipe in another thread re vegan baking .

jbsouthland, Dec 1, 7:25pm
Corn fritters made with a drained tin of lentils in place of eggs . We add half a finely chopped red onion as well as spring onions , BIG splash of chilli sauce , BP , half cup flour if that . yum yum !

uli, Dec 2, 5:53am
Unfortunately no-one "Sensationalizes" away about the loss of topsoil to feed the vegans.

Every time you plant ANNUALS (corn, beans, wheat, rye, lentils, chickpeas etc) you have to till the soil. Currently we lose 2kg of topsoil in Australia for every kilo of wheat harvested there.

For those who have no idea about soils - the topsoil is where the humus and the nutrients are.

We now have depleted our soils worldwide to the extent (and in only 100 years I might add) that if we run out of artificial fertilizers we will go back to about 10% of what we produce now.

These are hard facts and you can google them if you like.

While I would never condone what some of those rogue farmers do - I would suggest that there are lots of other farmers that really look after their lifestock (I know plenty of them that are out in gales and rain to look after their animals etc.)

In addition I would like to add that if you keep animals on permanent pasture - you are actually IMPROVING the soil. If you grow ANNUALS you are DEPLETING it.

So since the soil is what makes food for you - have a little step back from the furious subject and think about it again.

Veganism is NOT going to "save the world", unfortunately.