Vanilla Cake Recipe

marcs, Apr 8, 1:29am
As a cake maker I hate it when people ask for vanilla cake. I think it is boring and most flavourless cake to make which is why I don't have a recipe. Can I please have a tried and true recipe. I need to make a doll cake for a friend.

waswoods, Apr 8, 9:07am
Use your favourite chocolate cake and replace the cocoa with extra flour. Add lots of vanilla essence for flavouring

sarahb5, Apr 8, 9:28am
Use vanilla bean paste - you need to be able to taste the vanilla

marcs, Apr 8, 11:24am
OK thank you. I have found a recipe that has custard in it so hopefully it is moist.

fifie, Apr 8, 9:30pm
This is brilliant for novelty cakes.
Madeira Cake.
This is a firm cake and good to cover with fondant.
As a cake decorator this is the recipe I always use. It comes out lovely and moist and keeps that way for days. Makes 2 medium cakes or 1 large cake. Gave this recipe on here a few weeks ago and baker was delighted how well it turned out.
1 cup milk
125gm butter. Bring these to the boil
In a mixer, beat 4 eggs and gradually adds 2 cups sugar, 1 pkt lemon jelly crystals and 1 tsp vanilla essence. Beat until thick, then add 2 and a 1/4 cups of plain flour, 1/4 tsp salt and 2 tsp baking powder. Mix then quickly stir in the boiled milk and butter. Turn the mixture into two 7 or 8 inch lined tins and bake 180c for 20 minutes. If using a novelty shaped pan bake the whole mixture for 40 minutes at 180c or until skewer comes out clean.
kiwitrish (225 225 positive feedback) 9:52 am, Mon 23 Jun #19

sarahb5, Apr 8, 10:16pm
Yes it is but madeira cake isn't vanilla cake if that's what people want

luvmykicks, Apr 9, 1:01am
I use an amazing vanilla dream cake but I'm not sure it would be solid enough for a dress. I'll link the recipe anyway incase anyone wants it. Very moist almost mud cake like.

luvmykicks, Apr 9, 1:03am

marcs, Apr 9, 4:07am
I did look at that one luvmykicks but wasn't sure. I have found one that is oil based from Cake Boss cook book. Though I might give that one a go as it is oil based and I find oil based cakes are very moist. The cook states 2 cups of Italian custard with the recipe. http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe/vanilla-cake-12859245

luvmykicks, Apr 10, 8:51am
Worth a Crack. I think the vanilla dream cake recipe would work if you possibly froze it before you carved it as it would he quite crumbly otherwise

marcs, Apr 12, 3:00pm
The one that I posted did not work. It came out doughy. Flavour was nice. Gave up and just make my vanilla cupcake recipe into a cake. That turned out really nice.

korbo, Apr 15, 3:46am
I shouldn't but I do. buy an Edmonds Golden Buttercake packet mix.
It is so nice, with vanilla icing and coconut on top. try it, you may be pleasantly surprised

waswoods, Oct 8, 6:01pm
Cake . cupcakes . same thing.