Lime Marmalade

1stick, Aug 20, 10:40pm
Anyone made lime marmalade. I am after a simple but tasty recipe. Any ideas, hints or tips on making lime marmalade before my limes go to waste? thanks

cgvl, Aug 21, 2:18am
yes I have and do.
My basic recipe, can be used for any citrus fruit is:
18 limes or lemons or 6 very large grapefruit or 12 oranges or a mixture of any or all of them. Be careful to use some that are still under-ripe.
9 cups water, 3kg sugar (approx). 1packet preserved ginger optional.
Slice fruit thinly or put it all into the food processer and chop it up (will need to do in small batches).
Put fruit and water into a pan and stand overnight (about 8 hours). Next day bring to boil and boil until fruit soft. Add sugar and keep at a rolling (fast) boil until setting point is reached. If using ginger add when you add the sugar.
I use a bit less sugar about 2 2½ kgs. You can halve, quarter or do thirds of this recipe. Have just finished the last of last years batch so am going to get more limes to do some in next couple of weeks.

cookessentials, Aug 21, 3:24am
Have bumped the popular preserves thread for you.

samanya, Aug 21, 5:37am
I only make Lime & Lemon marmalade (can't eat grapefruit) & it's as good as any.

cookessentials, Aug 21, 8:02am
1 kg limes
1.5 litres water
1 3/4 kg sugar (use caster for a clearer marmalade)

Slice unpeeled limes thinly ,discard the seeds. Combine limes and water in bowl , cover and let stand overnight.
Transfer mixture to a large saucepan, bring to boil, simmer, covered for an hour or until rind is soft. Measure fruit mixture and allow one cup of sugar to each cup of fruit. Return fruit mixture and sugar to pan, stir over heat, without boiling till sugar dissolves . Bring to boil and boil, uncovered, without stirring for about twenty minutes or until marmalade gels when tested. Pour into hot sterilized jars, seal when cold.

cookessentials, Aug 21, 7:28pm
Recipe as requested

wendalls, Aug 22, 1:16am
What can you use this for apart from on toast?

cookessentials, Aug 22, 3:50am
Well, it's marmalade so it is formulated for toast! You can also use marmalade for steamed puddings

cookessentials, Aug 22, 3:56am
For instance, cardamom and marmalade scones which are delicious by the way. I shall put the recipe on the scone thread.

cookessentials, Sep 3, 1:33am
You can make a marmalade cake using marmalade.

125g butter, chopped
1 tsp grated orange rind
150g soft brown sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup ( 60 ml) of marmalade
225g self raising flour
60ml milk

Grease a 20cm ring tin. Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Beat on low speed until ingredients are combined, then beat on medium speed until mixture has changed colour and is smooth. Spread into prepared pan in a moderate oven for about 35 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Top cake with citrus frosting and sprinkle with mixed peel.

cookessentials, Sep 3, 1:35am
Citrus Frosting
240g sifted icing sugar
1 tsp grated orange or lemon rind

30g soft butter
1.5 tbsp. orange or lemon juice. Combine all in a small bowl and add enough juice to give a spreadable consistency. I just beat with an electric hand beater.

bev00, Sep 3, 9:23am
and again .

awoftam, Sep 3, 9:36am
And to baste a ham.

bev00, Sep 3, 10:11am
i add marmalade to my steamed xmas phd

jmm18, Nov 16, 3:51pm
Must try this marmalade cake recipe