Scones

paghan, Apr 19, 1:43am
I use this and have never had a fail and I have struggled making them.
2 cups of flour. (High grade flour)
2 heap teaspoons of baking powder.
1/4 teaspoon of salt
I put 1 & half cup of tasty cheese. Mix all together in a bowl with your hands and then start adding milk until the mixture is all mixed and sticky. Place onto a floured bench and cut up into scone sizes Bake on fan bake at 170 until golden brown. If more then five people I would double the mixture! Good luck

harrislucinda, Apr 19, 4:53am
oh made before like riding a bike you don't just forget

yjeva, Apr 19, 4:56am
No butter?

tramore, Apr 19, 4:59am
I use a similar recipe though I mix a beaten egg with the milk. It makes them very light.

asue, Apr 19, 5:02am
The cheese replaces the butter. I just use Edmonds recipe book one.

52many, Apr 19, 5:54am
I use this one as well and it is no fail!. Only I do 3 cups. 3 tspns bp. I also add a bit of white pepper and put grated tasty cheese on top as well. I bake at 200c for 10-15 mins. I also knead the dough for a minute or so till I feel it change or relax.

deanna14, Apr 19, 5:58am
No, not necessary in cheese ones.

deanna14, Apr 19, 6:02am
A pinch of cayenne always nice too. We were taught at tech to let them rest, something I had till then never done. No kneading though. I always wondered why the 2nd batch of scones or muffins etc, always rose better.

52many, Apr 19, 6:07am
Because they rested. Deanna . I knead to speed up the process. You are not meant to but I have not had a batch fail on me yet! However. I can not for the life of me make normal scones with butter. I fail miserably and have given up. On a brighter note a friend last week confessed the reason her scones always turned out was because she chucked everything into her food processor and let it do the work. so I'm trying this tomorrow!

jetxr8, Apr 19, 8:12am
The following recipe was previously on here; sorry but I don't know the name of the person who originally posted it:

IDIOT PROOF SCONES
INGREDIENTS:
50 grams butter 1 egg
Milk 3 large cups flour (sifted)
4 teaspoons baking powder
METHOD:
Heat oven to 200 degrees C. Line an oven slide with baking paper (or grease it). Melt butter in m’wave jug. Cool a little and then break egg into jug. Top up with enough milk to equal approximately 1 cup liquid. Mix butter, egg and milk with a fork. Sift flour and baking powder together, into a large mixing bowl. Add wet ingredients and mix in with a knife. Tip onto a flour dusted board or bench and cut into squares with a wet knife. (The mixture will be quite wet, so cut with a wet knife and have wet hands, to stop it sticking.) Don’t knead the dough and don’t flatten down too much. Gently transfer scones onto the oven slide. Bake for about 10 - 12 minutes until golden.

deanna14, Apr 19, 8:23am
Yes, or relaxed as you put it.

I was never that great making light scones until someone told me you add BP to SR flour that you use, after that, I never had a problem with light scones. I don't have a recipe, nor do I measure. I would be interested in your processor results. My biggest compliment last year was when my neighbours were shifting out for repairs and I made cheese scones for everyone, and boy did I get the thumbs up from over 50 year olds with comments like, just like Aunty used to make, I was pretty tickled.

I lean towards a wet mix, because you can always add more flour, but a lack of wet, makes for a bad mix.

kiwisportsgirl, Apr 19, 1:22pm
Yeap I use this one as well. I also add some finely chopped onion, ham and if I have creamed corn leftover in the fridge I throw this in to. I also preheat the milk before adding that just a min in the microwave. Top with a bit of cheese before baking. They always turn out yummy and are quick to make.

aktow, Apr 23, 2:49pm
you don't use high grade flour . 2 heaped teaspoons of baking powder is over kill. you get a bad after taste if you use to much baking powder

wheelz, Apr 23, 8:50pm
I now only use this recipe:
4 c SR Flour
300 ml lemonade ( I use soda water )
300 ml cream
For cheese scones add 2 cups tasty cheese and some some cayenne pepper.
Mix till just combined, pat out to an inch thick at a minimum.
Cut into shape desired. Brush with milk and into a 220' C oven approx 15 mins.
These rise beautifully and are light and tasty.
A note. For scones to rise, they need to be cut out not pinched and rolled.

twinkley1, Apr 24, 7:11am
I feel a weekend of scones is coming up. Thanks ladies for sharing your great tips.

janny3, May 11, 9:03am
Thanks for sharing this recipe. I omitted the egg and baked a flat bread slab on fan bake. Was very nice.

madj, Aug 9, 5:59pm
These are magnificent and so so yummy, a little more effort to make these but well worth it.

575g flour
15g baking powder
100g butter
10g salt
5g pepper
450ml milk
300g grated cheese (plus extra for topping)
100g onion, chopped

preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius
sift flour, baking powder and salt and pepper. Combine with chopped butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
add milk, cheese and onion. Mix til combined do not overmix.
cut into 8 pieces (they will be quite large), brush with milk, or beaten egg and top with the extra cheese
bake for 20-25 minutes.