Chicken meals? ideas please

nrk71, Jun 22, 9:54pm
how do u like cooking chicken? whats your all time fav chicken dish. i need some ideas please

pony_girl, Jun 23, 12:25am
This pie (from an old foodtown magazine - you asked for it section) is one of my favourites .
Tuscany cafe's wholegrain mustard, chicken pie.
2 tablespoons oil
2 sheets savoury pastry,
1 medium chopped onion
350 grams sour cream
1 egg
1 cup grated cheese
2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
2 cloves garlic chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
salt and pepper
500 grams chicken breast, cooked and shredded
2 sheets flaky pastry
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 180.
prepare 22cm pie dish by brushing with oil - then lining with savory pastry and blind bake for 10 minutes.
Sauté onion until transparent.
Combine the sour cream, egg, cheese, mustard, garlic parsley and seasonings in a bowl - then mix in the chicken and onion.
pour mixture into the semi baked pastry shell - top with the puff pastry and seal edges of pie, brush the top with milk or egg wash and then sprinkle with sesame seeds - then bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.

245sam, Jun 23, 1:32am
nrk71, here's one of our favourites - it's a nice hot option for these chilly days.

CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE CRUMBLE
This is an easy, can be prepared ahead, almost all-in-one meal and a good way of using up leftover cooked chicken.

2 cups (360g) chopped cooked chicken
500g frozen mixed vegetables
1 x 440g can condensed cream of asparagus soup (or other soup of choice)
⅔ cup stale breadcrumbs
½ cup grated tasty cheese
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Thaw the frozen vegetables and drain them to remove as much excess liquid as possible. Combine the chicken, vegetables and soup in an 8 cup capacity ovenproof dish.
Mix the breadcrumbs, cheese and parsley in a bowl, then sprinkle the mixture over the chicken and vegetables.
Bake at 180ºC for about 40 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and the crumble is heated through. Serve with e.g. baked potatoes or fresh bread.
Serves 4-5.
Note: There is plenty of scope for variation on the above basic recipe - add e.g. sautéed onions or leeks, sautéed mushrooms, bacon. and, of course, vary the soup flavour according to personal preference and what is available. Because I was usually only needing to feed 3 people I served the Crumble as is, without any extra vegetables, etc, but to provide more servings, serve it with additional vegetables, salad, potatoes.

** For more chicken recipes and ideas, try doing a search here on the Recipes MB using chicken as the Keyword and Last year as the Date posted option. :-))

spead, Jun 23, 1:39am
A few drum sticks and any fruit into a casserole dish for two hours. nothing else added.

nrk71, Jun 23, 1:39am
that sounds sooooo good

lythande1, Jun 23, 3:04am
Couple of chicken bits - doesn't matter what. 2 large capsicums, 1 large onion, 1 dessertspoon tomato puree, stock, 1 dessertspoon paprika, salt and pepper, 2 bayleaves.
Chop veges, toss all in a pot, simmer till tender, take meat off bones and add back in without the bones.
Thicken if needed and serve with small noodles.

deanna14, Jun 23, 6:11am
Saw this today, made it for dinner with a rooster that was running around here yesterday. Slow cooked him last night. Saw your recipe and wallah, very, very nice thank you.

awoftam, Jun 23, 6:40am
Coat chicken thighs in pesto then roll in freshly made breadcrumbs whizzed up with some kalamata olives.
Drizzle with butter.
Bake until done - about 30 -40 mins.

Serve on a warm tomato sauce - I just use Delmaine tomatoes and garlic - with a fresh crisp salad or steamed veges.

Note - the interesting thing with this dish is that olive 'haters' proclaim 'You can't taste the olives" and olive lovers exclaim "You can really taste the olives!". Happens every time I serve it. Weird but there you go.

awoftam, Jun 23, 6:44am
This is glorious - I am having it tonight. Don't be put off by the list of ingredients they are all pretty basic stuff. I use free range pork bacon as opposed to duck bacon. I never have left overs when I cook this - it disappears.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/chicken-dumplings-gwyneth-paltrow

awoftam, Jun 23, 6:54am
Excellent testimonial. Its on the ever growing and wonderful list of what I am going to cook in the future.

pony_girl, Jun 23, 9:05am
I am glad you enjoyed it - I bet it is tasty with your proper free range chicken too :-) I often change the recipe, sometimes cooking leeks or mushrooms (or other vegetables) with the onions and then mixing it in - and often have it with either mashed potato or mashed Kumara as a topping rather than pastry too. Thanks for the Feedback :-)

samanya, Jun 24, 5:04am
off topic, I know . but thanks for sharing that site . I've had a cruise around it & there's some lovely sounding vege recipes there, which are now printed off & waiting to be files (that could be a while) ;o).

ruby19, May 5, 3:10am
Made this for the meat eaters tonight and they loved it. Original recipe included a drizzle of honey over chicken before placing in oven to cook.

125ml cream or sour cream
2 tbsp grainy mustard (or to taste)
4 garlic cloves, crushed
350ml chicken stock
8 skin-on chicken drumsticks and thighs (n I used chicken cutlets bone in skin off)
500g baby potatoes or normal potatoes chopped.
200g green beans* optional (didn`t use - if using place underneath chicken when placing in dish for oven)
1 red onion, quartered
½ small bunch tarragon, roughly chopped (I used dried)

Method

Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Mix together the cream, mustard, and stock with some seasoning. Heat a heavy oven proof pan ( a pan just large enough for the chicken and vegetables) and sear chicken, adding red onion and crushed garlic Arrange the chicken, skin-side up,
Tuck the potatoes and beans*(if using) in between the chicken pieces. Pour over the stock mixture then season the chicken. Cook for 40-45 mins until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes tender. you may need to turn potatoes during cooking. Scatter over the tarragon before serving. If using dried tarragon add approx tsp but add earlier.
This was a great one pan dish that was easy to throw together.