Cooking 12 hard boil eggs

helen490, Jul 6, 5:50am
do you do them all together or separate?
what times do you use?

yjeva, Jul 6, 5:54am
I can't think of any possible reason to cook them seperately. For "hard" boiled I give them 10 minutes - you would be there for 2 hours!

245sam, Jul 6, 6:26am
Definitely cook all the eggs together helen490. I would put the eggs in a saucepan with a little baking soda (makes them easier to peel) and enough cold water to cover the eggs, then bring all to the boil.
If the eggs were from the refrigerator I would turn the heat off, cover the saucepan and leave it on the heat for 1 minute, then remove it from the heat and leave it to stand for 10 minutes, then tip the hot water off the eggs and immediately cool them with cold running water.
If the eggs were at room temperature I would cover the saucepan and remove it from the heat as soon as the water boils, then leave it to stand as above, for 10 minutes.
Cooking the eggs as above, rather than actually boiling the eggs, overcomes any likelihood of that (IMO) ghastly looking grey outline that hard-boiled egg yolks often have.
The above is the method I have used for many years, since reading it explained in (from memory) Lois Daish's column in The Listener. :-))

helen490, Jul 6, 6:30am
cheers.
very informative instructions

tazdevil38, Jul 6, 7:51am
Place eggs gently in to boiling water and cook between 8 1/2 and 10 mins. Any more and they're overcooked and you get left with that dark ring around the yolk.

Place pot in sink and run cold water continuously for about 5 mins. It stops the eggs from cooking further and it also helps to peel them.

aktow, Jul 6, 1:17pm
to get perfect boiled eggs, place eggs just covered in water in a pot and put a lid on the pot. turn element to high and when the water boils turn the element down so the water just simmers,, cook eggs for 8 minutes and then once the 8 minutes is up, place cooked eggs in to cold water.

ferrit47, Jul 8, 4:25am
When Cooked & ready to peel dont empty out hotwater just turn on cold tap & pour cold water into hot water & then leave in cold water to cool eggs before peeling them under water. They peel much easier. A Chef told me this way this best.

martine5, Jul 8, 7:24am
Who knew baking soda makes them easier to peel. What a great tip, thanks heaps

rarogal, Jul 9, 10:21pm
Another easy peel tip I've found very successful. Once cooked, tap and crack each end of egg on inside of sink, then roll the sides down until all the egg is cracked, the inside 'skin' stays intact and the shell almost comes off in one piece.

bev00, Mar 24, 9:54am
great tips