Coeliac friend coming for dinner.

jag5, Feb 14, 1:15am
Ideas for dessert please. will be poaching a chicken and having this with salad. what about dessert?

toadfish, Feb 14, 1:18am
Pavlova, Eaton Mess, Fruit & Ice cream (check ice cream labels).
Fruit & Chocolate platter.

My Niece and Nephew are coeliac so have had to do a few desserts that they can have.

245sam, Feb 14, 1:25am
jag5, toadfish has already given you some great ideas for dessert so my advice is just a word of caution re your salad, or more particularly salad dressing - in particular vinegar if using it in a dressing. Most of the everyday vinegars are not gluten free - as far as I am aware Cider Vinegar is the only everyday/basic vinegar that is GF.

Hope you and your coeliac friend have a lovely evening. :-))

jag5, Feb 14, 1:32am
Thanks you 245sam. she has said she can have Balsamic Vinegar. so that is sorted.

So pavlova is allowed. wow. who would have thought. I just might push the boat out and do one. is cream allowed?

davidt4, Feb 14, 1:45am
Yes, cream is fine as long as it has not been thickened or flavoured. People with coeliac disease have to avoid gluten, which is present only in wheat, rye and barley, but it is safest to avoid all grains in case there has been cross contamination during processing.

245sam, Feb 14, 1:53am
jag5, you're most welcome but again be careful re vinegar but this time with pavlova as many pavlova recipes have vinegar and usually vanilla essence. Be careful with alcohol based essences e.g. if flavouring whipped cream, and if you're making your own pavlova be sure to use maize cornflour and not wheaten cornflour. :-))

jag5, Feb 14, 2:40am
Thank you all so very much. very helpful

angheenan, Feb 17, 9:57pm
Sponge.
1 cup sugar
3 tb water
4 eggs separated
few drops vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups cornflour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Pre heat oven 180. line two 21cm shallow tins.
Place sugar and water in microwave or small saucepan and bring to the boil.
Beat egg whites until stiff then slowly with the mixer running dribble in the hot sugar mix.
Beat really hard.
Add the egg yolks and vanilla then carefully fold in the sifted dry ingredients. be very gentle.
Carefully pour into the two tins and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
As soon as you remove from the oven drop from knee height to the floor - not kidding! this will shock the sponge and stop it deflating.

Sandwich together with cream and fruit such as raspberries/peaches.

angheenan, Feb 17, 1:04am
Chocolate Brownie
200g butter
1/2 cup cocoa Better quality you use, nicer the brownie Blookers is good.
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup gf flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
In a large pot melt butter and cocoa gently without boiling,
add salt, vanilla,,sugar, stir well with whisk or wooden spoon.
Take off heat, add flour then eggs beat mix well.
Pour into swiss roll tin and bake for 20 - 25 mins at 180 or until brownie leaves edges of tin.
Serve with ice cream/ fresh cream or mascarpone/yoghurt and berries.