Uncooked slices

spdip, Apr 21, 11:52pm
I do baking with a group of teenagers which we then sell for fundraising, etc. I thought for a change I would do uncooked slices for the next round, as to be honest these kids don't have a lot of baking skills and unless I keep an eye on the timer and the recipe, you can never guarantee a good outcome.

Looking for simple slices, that can be made by teenagers with limited cooking skills. I already have lolly cake (with jubes, licorice allsorts, etc variations) and the good old fudge cake (made with round wines). I know there are a few variations on fudge cake, but all my recipe books are packed away at present.

Thanks for your help.

245sam, Apr 22, 12:11am
APRICOT FUDGE CAKE
115g butter
85g brown sugar
½ x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
1 x 250g packet wine biscuits, crushed
½ cup firmly packed, chopped dried apricots
caster sugar

Heat the butter, brown sugar and sweetened condensed milk just until the butter melts. Remove from the heat and add the biscuits and the apricots. Mix well, then press the mixture into a greased and base-lined 19cm square tin. Allow to set for a few minutes, then sprinkle the top with caster sugar. Set in the refrigerator, then cut into fingers. :-))

shellz213, Apr 22, 12:12am
Lemon slice - this is one we make, very easy and very tasty.
http://www.nzwomansweekly.co.nz/food/recipes/lemon-slice/

245sam, Apr 22, 12:14am
From earlier threads.

"Rice Bubble slice
125gr butter
125gr sugar
2TBSPs honey or golden syrup

Bring to boil & simmer 5min. Remove from heat & add 5c Rice bubbles. Pour into a sponge roll tin. Cut while warm
Quote jessie981 (61 ) 7:39 pm, Mon 29 Aug #4"

"Ginger Fudge
Pkt biscuits
1/2 tin cond milk
125gr butter
3/4c br sugar
2TBSP ginger
Melt butter, cond milk & sugar. Add crushed biscuits blended with ginger. Press into a sponge roll tin & cill.
Quote jessie981 (82 ) 9:58 pm, Sun 17 Feb #6"

"This is quick and easy.
No Bake Marshmellow Slice
1 pkt crushed wine biscuits
4oz butter
Third of tin Condensed milk
1 cup coconut
Melt last 3 together and pour over bisc.
Press inti slice tin and set aside.
Topping
2 heaped desp gelatine dissolved in
1Cup boiling water
Add 1½ cups sugar
Beat hard until thick.
Spread on top of bisc base (Can add a couple of drops of food colouring if liked)
Grate chocolate over and set in the fridge.
Quote camper18 (28 ) 9:53 am, Mon 18 Feb #10"

and from the former Trademe Cooks.
"White Christmas
250grms/8oz Kremelta Melted. 1 cup skim milk pwdr. 1 cup icing sugar. pinch salt. 1/2 teaspn vanilla ess. 1 cup total of either raisins,coconut, cherries, apricot, nuts. 3 cups rice bubbles. Add kremlta and mix well then pour into paper lined tin. set in fridge.
posted by toadfish

1 cup sugar 1 egg 6oz butter 1/1/2 cups chopped dates 3 cups rice bubbles vanilla ess beat egg and sugar melt butter in pan add egg mix cook for 5 min until thick add dates cook a few mins cool then add rice bubbles can roll into balls in coconut or put in slice tray nice
posted by harrislucinda

Jaffa Marshmallow Slice (No Bake)
125 g butter, 1/2 c sugar, 3 tab cocoa, 1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla ess, 1 tsp orange essence (or orange juice), 1 tsp grated orange rind, 3 cups muesli (could use any type of cereal really), 1/4 c sultanas, 1/2 c baby marshmallows. Heat butter, sugar & cocoa. Cool & add egg, vanilla & orange. Lightly crush muesli. Mix in to butter mix, add sultanas & marshmallows. Press into tin & refrigerate 4hrs (if you can wait! ). Use warm knife to cut, keep in fridge.
posted by rwatchorn"

Hope that helps. :-))

pam.delilah, Apr 22, 2:19am
Citrus Slice
100 g butter,
1/2 can condensed milk,
1 cup coconut,
1 pkt wine bisc.
grated rind of 1 - 2 citrus fruit.
Melt butter, add cond milk, coconut, finely grated rind and bisc crumbs. Press into lightly buttered or sprayed dish.
Mixture need not fill dish but may be pressed into desired depth.
Icing:
1 cup icing sugar,
2 tbsp soft butter,
citrus fruit juice.
Mix icing sugar with butter, then add juice, a few drops at a time to icing consistency.
Spread on base and refrigerate until firm.
Cut in squares or rectangles

pam.delilah, Apr 22, 2:21am
Ginger and walnuts fudge slice
50g butter
½ cup brown sugar
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 packet (250g) gingernut biscuits, crushed
¼ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup coconut plus extra for sprinkling over icing
2 cups icing sugar
1-2 tbsp softened butter
1 tbsp lemon juice
Warm water to mix
Melt butter, brown sugar, milk and golden syrup in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar. Simmer for 4 minutes and then remove from the heat.
Combine biscuit crumbs, walnuts and coconut in a bowl and make a well in the centre.
Pour in sugar mixture and mix well.
Press into a lined slice pan and refrigerate until set.
Mix together the icing sugar, butter and lemon juice with enough water to make an easily spreadable icing. Ice ginger slice and then sprinkle with coconut.
Cut into pieces once icing has set

pam.delilah, Apr 22, 2:23am
Marshmallow Slice

1 pkt crushed wine biscuits,
1/2 tin condensed milk,
1 cup coconut,
115g butter.

Melt butter and condensed milk over very low heat stirring constantly, mix in coconut and biscuits and press into 8cm tin.

MARSHMALLOW:

Dissolve 1 dsp gelatine in 1/2 cup boiling water and add 1 cup sugar.

Beat until white and thick and pour over mixture.

Sprinkle with coconut or choc chips.

pam.delilah, Apr 22, 2:25am
Date and Ginger Nut Slice
1 x 250 g packet Ginger Nut biscuits
200 g unsalted butter, melted
250 g pitted dates
1 egg
¼ cup coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Method
1. Melt a little butter and brush over a slice pan.
2. Place all ingredients, except coconut, into a food processor until mixture comes together.
3. Spread mixture into the slice pan.
4. Sprinkle coconut over mixture and refrigerate.
5. When cold, cut with a warm knife.

spdip, Apr 22, 3:09am
Thank you so much, keep them coming, as we do baking once a month and really need to start thinking beyond the kids favourite recipes. But because there is only one of me and usually 8 of them, it is hard to keep an eye on them at the same time ensuring they are doing it right. One girl thought she could just throw the flour etc in until it "looked right". Pointed out to her that until they are very familiar with the recipe even the professionals don't cook that way.

bev00, Apr 22, 9:12am
keeping alive for school hols

mooshiesmum, Apr 25, 7:57am
I have a blog with lots of baking recipes on them - all of them are simple and easy because I am simple and easy! lol

So have a look at the Sweet Treats tab at top of the page but here are a couple of my no bake slices - just heating on the stove top some of the ingredients

http://justamumnz.wordpress.com/2014/03/30/not-your-ordinary-marshmallow-slice/ http://justamumnz.wordpress.com/2014/02/03/clinkers-chocolate-slice/

bev00, Sep 14, 4:54pm
too good to lose