Sauce

kam04, May 26, 2:41am
Can anyone give me a nice recipe for a sauce to have on hot corned beef.
I'm a guy so don't make it too complicated :-) With it I'm having carrots(sitting in the slow cooker with the corned beef), mashed spud & green beans. Just want a sauce to go on the meat. I was thinking of something mustardy. Taa

rainrain1, May 26, 2:48am
Whisk together an egg and 1/4 cup sugar in a pot , add 1 Tblsp flour, 2 tsp dry mustard, stir altogether. Gradually add while whisking, 1 cup liquid the meat is cooked in, and 1/4 cup malt vinegar. Salt and pepper, go easy on the salt

kam04, May 26, 2:53am
Sounds good and easy to do, taa

rainrain1, May 26, 3:04am
Do you have the Edmonds book? The recipe is in there. Bon Appetit!

kam04, May 26, 3:10am
Probably one in there somewhere. Will probably upset the cupboard looking for it. Merci !

kam04, May 26, 4:09am
do you have to heat it up. I ask because you said put it in a pot.

lythande1, May 26, 4:15am
And that is sugar sauce?

In a small pot melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, add flour and mustard. Gradually add cooking liquid and whisk until you have a smooth sauce.

Or:
Corned beef
1.5kg piece corned beef, rinsed
10 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 carrot, sliced
1 onion, halved
1 stick celery, sliced
3 tablespoons golden syrup
150ml white wine
300ml cream
4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons finely sliced chives

Put the beef, peppercorns, bay leaf, carrot, onion, celery, golden syrup and wine in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover the beef and vegetables by 5cm. Bring to the boil then simmer for 2 hours until very tender.

Remove from the heat and stand for 10 minutes. Remove the beef from the cooking liquid (reserve the liquid) and set aside, covered, in a warm place.

Strain the liquid then measure 150ml into a saucepan. Add the cream and bring to the boil then boil gently until reduced by one-third. Stir in the mustard and chives. season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

rainrain1, May 26, 4:15am
Make it in a saucepan on the stove, it is a hot sauce for your meat.

kam04, May 26, 4:30am
Thanks, got the meat sorted. Done that before a few times but never made a mustard sauce, just used the stuff out of the jar.

rainrain1, May 26, 5:16am
If you say so, then sugar sauce it is, but we know it as mustard sauce, and we love it in this house

samanya, May 26, 5:37am
That's the one . an oldie but a goodie.
I usually put more mustard in & I find I like the sauce better than the meat ;o)
Extra good with corned beef in a sandwich for lunch next day .
Hmmm, making me hungry & wanting corned beef.

rainrain1, May 26, 5:53am
Onion and carrot cooked in with the meat, mashed potato blobbed with butter and smothered in the 'sugar sauce' It's very good once in a while

valentino, May 26, 9:21am
Hmmm, try this next time, Corned Beef or Silverside, mash potatoes, baby peas, and cauliflower with a nice cheesy sauce made with a large dash of Dijon Mustard in it.

The cheese sauce from the Cauli will or can used for the meat as well as the Cauli.

Actually, I love it when all is slightly mixed, yeah reminds of Toddlers stuff but I love it.

Cheers

buzzy110, May 26, 10:20pm
Again not often I agree with you but that sauce sounds blerk.

To the opening poster - Learn to make a simple roux sauce. Sometimes it is called bechamel but the method is identical.

Gently melt 1 Tablespoon of butter and lower the heat to low
Add 1 Tablespoon of flour and mix it in (if it is too dry add some more butter)
Pour in hot liquid and whisk till smooth. The liquid can be milk, vegetable stock, chicken stock or (*gulp*) hot water with powdered chicken stock added to it.
Let it cook some more until it thickens. Won't take long.

To this you can add parsley.

If you want onion sauce, finely dice an onion and saute first in butter then add your 1T ob butter and continue on.

This sauce is the basis for most sauces. It can be used to good effect to make gravy and thicken stews, etc. Any flavour you want, you can use. Saute mushrooms first, instead of onion. Use milk to make a richer sauce. Choose other herbs to add. Can saute spices first to make a spicy sauce. If you get really good it is the base to creme patisserie and can even be the base for custard.

But basically it all starts with the melted butter, added flour and warm liquid then the world is your oyster.

kam04, May 26, 10:34pm
Thanks for your comments. We actually found the sauce really nice. Will probably reduce the sugar amount next time as we prefer things a little more 'tarty'.

buzzy110, May 27, 1:31am
It was the sugar in the recipe that made me think it was *blerk* and I still do. Sweet with savoury has never really been my thing which is why I am condemned to always make my own sauces.

Personally I wouldn't eat the liquid that the corned beef was cooked in either. Nitrites/nitrates and corning chemicals that leach into the liquid are a problem for me. I get enough when I eat the meat.

rainrain1, May 27, 2:08am
Blerk Sauce. don't make the bl88dy stuff, nobody's holding a gun at your head

fishplants, May 27, 3:16am
This is very funny (to me) as I am also a male and have no problems to read recipes and adapt them.

Try these here:
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/horseradish_sauce/ http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/horseradish-sauce-recipe.html or even this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseradish

and adapt it to what you like :)

rainrain1, May 27, 5:45am
Sounds utterly delish

awoftam, Jul 4, 5:17pm
Nuffink like a great cheese sauce. Made one the other night (used rice flour, cos I reckon its lighter) and added Parmesan, garlic and Dijon mustard and served it over steamed veges with schnitzel stuffed with bacon and mozarella and crumbed in panko and sesame seed. GAWD talk about comfort food.