Banana Cake using the Magical Orange Cake Recipe

earth_moon, Aug 16, 7:27pm
Hi there, Just a question about the Magical Orange Cake Recipe. Can the oranges be replaced with bananas to make a Banana Cake? And has anyone tried it - and if so - how did it turn out?

nanasee1, Aug 16, 7:59pm
I have. I used three very ripe bananas (instead of orange) and added 1 teaspoon baking soda mixed with a tablespoon of warm milk. There was a thread ages ago with many variations of the magical cake, you may find it on a search.

pam.delilah, Aug 16, 9:06pm
Tips and Tricks for previous threads
Strawberry and choc chip
I used the basic recipe and add a 1/2 cup choc chips and a cup of chopped strawberries that I folded through. I added a 1/2 cup milk to replace the orange juice from the fruit.

I put a tin of pears in I strained the juice syrup out into a cup and used the pears as you would the oranges, when it was still hot brush the cake with a little pear syrup

add sultanas to the cake mixture When I made the orange cake I just added sultanas to the cake mixture added them last and just hand mixed them.

The tinned strawberry and chocolate chip combination was excellent!) Just remember to drain all the liquid from the tin and roughly chop the strawberries before proceeding with the recipe. Also added handful each of coconut and chocolate chips, plus I sprinkled the top with more coconut before baking. I have a mini loaf tray so baked the mixture in those. (Makes 6)

1 large apple (I cored it as I wasn't sure how the pips would go) Also added a small handful of sultanas and about 1 tsp cinnamon. baked in my cute 6 mini-loaves tray decorate the tops of each of them with about 4 slices of apple,

I made this today but used 1 banana and 4 fejoa's and its divine, I also made it as a chocolate cake and replaced the fruit with one yoghurt (apricot) and added 2 tablspns of cocoa

two bananas, then after the batter was in the tin, she sprinkled chocolate chips across the top. Pushed some in a little and left the others on top - this made a nice topping. We used some with custard for dessert, and have used Nutella as an icing for the rest

Blood Orange Cake The local store had Blood Oranges for sale so tried the cake with these. For those who don't know what a blood orange is, it is an orange with red (almost like beetroot red) skin and beetroot red flesh. The cake came out a really neat pinky-red colour wuth flecks of red. Tasted wonderful

five figs 1/4 tspoon cinnimon 1/4 tspoon cloves 1/4 tspoon nutmeg everything else the same.

Orange & cream cheese muffins. Tried this recipe as muffins, adding chopped dates and a blob of cream cheese in the middle of muffin before cooking.

Orange and Dates
. YUM! Made this combination last night into muffin size and it was a great success. Just smoosh up about 1/2 a cup or so of dates when you are pulping the orange. Topped off with lemon cream cheese icing

pineapple cake I made it again with a tin of crushed pineapple in juice. Needed a bit of extra flour but it turned out great and didn't even need processing, just mixed in a bowl. Nice as a pudding too.

Made lemon today with 2 lemons - really tart but poked holes all over the cooked cake and poured 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 sugar mixed which was simply divine.

i made this delicious cake 2day. but i doubled the recipe and used 2 c raspberries instead of the orange

GRAPEFRUIT sprinkled a little coconut and cho chips on top before popping it in the oven. Took a little longer than the cooking time suggested though. I used a decent sized yellow coloured grapefruit.

a tin of apricots drained, but with a slurp of the juice back in and a packet of chopped pecans.

Lime and Coconut Cake was absolutely scrummy- used 2 limes instead of orange and added coconut and an extra egg- iced with lime butter icing with v finely grated lime rhind

a block of whittakers white choc and macademia nuts broke it into single pieces and potted it on top of cake then submerged it a bit once it came out of oven and had cooled I grated white choc on top, I finished this off with 2 tins of mandarins on the side with freshly whipped cream, and I have to say that it went down very well - I took it to friends and was on dessert and they raved about it. - dont know if anyone has done this version yet but both thumbs for this one.

pam.delilah, Aug 16, 9:06pm
cont
If you use thin skinned fruit you don't have to peel it, but if like us you have very thick skinned oranges, then peel and use the zest, trim off most of the pith and pulp the rest with the zest.

Make a lovely ring tin cake iced with orange icing and also a loaf left plain.

Served with equal parts of whipped cream and custard and a dolip of orange marmalade. stir it together and it goes all streaky, serve cake warmed

Use the basic recipe and add a 1/2 cup choc chips and a cup of chopped strawberries that I folded through, add a 1/2 cup milk to replace the orange juice from the fruit

Five figs 1/4 tspoon cinnamon 1/4 tspoon cloves 1/4 tspoon nutmeg everything else the same

mini-loaves, muffins

2 limes instead of orange and added coconut and an extra egg- iced with lime butter icing with v finely grated lime rind-

earth_moon, Dec 27, 2:12am
Wow. thank you very much.! I have some very ripe bananas, so thought I would give it a whirl. The orange one ALWAYS works for me - every time. So wondered if throwing in bananas instead of oranges would work too! It would seem it does - along with other combos too. :) Much appreciated Pam.delish and nana.see. You guys rock!