cookessentials

vintagekitty, May 3, 8:36am
hows your whale snot? , have been thinking about you today! , have you heard anything?

cookessentials, May 3, 9:12am
whale vomit you mean LOL. They do not think it is, but want me to send a sample just in case which i think I will. Would hate to throw it away and find out that it WAS ambergris.

vintagekitty, May 5, 8:59am
I watched a programme on the living channel, about the best gardens in Aus and it featured a man who bought a huge lifestyle property from the proceeds of finding whale vomit washed up on his local beach- He got $150k for it!

cookessentials, May 5, 9:19am
No such luck. I spoke with the chap who deals in ambergris and we came to the conclusion that it probably wasn't, although he did say to send a sample. One of the ways to test it is to heat a needle and then touch it with the hot needle, you should get a "melting" of the ambergris and white smok. Well, we got white smoke but no melting and he did say that looking at the photos I sent him, there were fibres in iwhich ambergris does not have. I made the decision not to bother sending a sample after my husband sliced apiece off a said sample and we tried it in the fire - it did nothing and to be honest, there was only so much smell we could put up with LOL. it is in a sealed bag awaiting the rubbish collection on friday. I wondered if it had been a dead seal perhaps as there are alot of seals around cape Palliser. So no mansions for us LOL ( not that there would have been)

vintagekitty, Apr 2, 9:42pm
oh no, I was so excited for you!