Beef Sukiyaki

rusty-bones, Jan 22, 11:24pm
I had one today for lunch just from a supermarket, it was really nice. I have googled a few recipes but they are all different. I just want the sauce maybe for this or a standard recipe? They had rice with it and with the meat was carrots and beans and brocolli. Ay ideas?
Also how on earth do they get the meat sliced so thin? And what meats best to use? Thanks

valentino, Jan 23, 12:30am
Traditional Sukiyaki does not have rice, carrots, beans and broccoli in it.
It normally is served at the table and cooked at the table with guests seated and participating in this dish. It has mushrooms, noodles, spring onions, tofu, eggs, watercress like greens, sake, beef fat, thin slices of beef, other liquid ingredients.

In some Asian stores, one can buy thinly sliced meats prepared in those packaging trays.

Editing to add Sauce which is called "wari-shita".
5 tbsp. second dashi stock 9 same amount in water and 1 tsp dashi-no-moto), 5 tbsp. shoyu, 1/2 cup mirin, 1 tbsp. sake, 1 tbsp. caster sugar mixed into a saucepan over medium heat until sugar has dissolved then into a pitcher - jug - bowl ready to use.

rusty-bones, Jan 23, 3:39am
Thanks for the sauce. Yes I know about the noodles and not the Veges I mentioned. I just want the sauce so I can mix and match it with what ever I have at the time. Thanks

kiwilion, Jan 23, 5:17am
If you don't want to make the sauce you can buy Sukiyaki sauce at the supermarket. And the Asian food stores.
To get the beef cut very thin freeze it first, that makes it much easier to slice finely.
Experiment and make your own Sukiyaki version, its just Japanese beef hot pot.

rusty-bones, Apr 27, 7:07pm
Great kiwillion thanks.