Best Date Scones

fee1965, Oct 26, 12:49am
Looking for a very light and buttery recipe - any ideas?

lilyfield, Oct 26, 1:01am
Use Your proven favourite recipe and add chopped dates that have been soaked in hot water for 10 min.and drained well

sarahb5, Oct 26, 7:44am
The ones I made yesterday were pretty good but the lightness comes from your touch, or rather lack of it, rather than the recipe

http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/242/easy-date-scones.aspx

karlymouse, Oct 26, 10:03am
Best DS I have had came from using butter milk as a mixer

mousiemousie, Oct 26, 6:37pm
The best scones I have ever made were with 300ml cream, 300ml lemonade or soda water, 4 cups S/R flour, pinch salt and dates. Mix, bake, eat. Easy Peasy Yum Yum.

jymkrys, Oct 26, 8:32pm
That's the 'famous' lemonade scones recipe and it works really well. I add finely grated orange rind and an orange fizzy drink (for colour) and that goes well with the dates. Probably not very healthy but a yummy treat.

fifie, Oct 26, 9:21pm
Make with butter milk for a light fluffy mix, sometimes i soften dates first with orange juice drain and sandwich the mix in the middle, nice for a change.

kaddiew, Oct 26, 10:17pm
I include some of the water or juice the dates were soaked in, for the liquid measure, for added date flavour and colour.

jan2242, Oct 26, 10:32pm
Wish I had asked for my Gt Aunts recipe before she died - hers were the best ever tasted.

sarahb5, Oct 26, 10:32pm
I used medjool dates which are soft anyway so didn't need any soaking

village.green, Oct 27, 12:33am
I second buttermilk and I also now buy pre sliced dates from Davis Trading approx $6.50 for 1 kg - they are very soft too which is an added bonus as the standard ones are bloody hard to cut sometimes, especially when you have quite a few to do.

sarahb5, Oct 27, 1:55am
I use scissors to cut dates - the bulk Turkish ones are $6.49 a kg at our local deli

lynja, Oct 28, 5:33pm
I always use half milk and half water to mix date scones. I was told to do this years ago by someone whose scones I had enjoyed. Seems to work well.

eastie3, Oct 30, 4:03am
Add lemon zest to the mix, it's a delicious alternative to orange.

rainrain1, Aug 4, 6:47pm
Date and lemon Scones

150mls milk
150mls cream
1 egg
(Beat these 3 ingredients together)

Mix together 3 cups selfraising flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup chopped dates
Zest of one lemon
Pour milks into dry ingredients and give a good old mix.
Lightly knead and make a 2" high shape
Use a large round cutter or knife.
Glaze with milk and sugar
Cook on tray with flat side up until golden brown hot oven 10 - 15 minutes. Oven 200