My pie

trademeest, Nov 1, 8:03pm
baked great mince pie but didn't stay together when you lift out a slice. why is this?

whitehead., Nov 1, 11:24pm
is it hot or cold . and how thick is any gravy if you had not thinkened it the juice will go every where

buzzy110, Nov 2, 12:28am
Can you describe the pie: i.e. pastry case with mince filling. Was the mince in a stew and therefore "loose" or was it made into a "loaf" and wrapped in pastry. That would give us much more to go on.

aktow, Nov 2, 1:44pm
the mince would of been not thick enough,, you can add a gravy mix or cornflour to keep the mince together,,

if you are making mini pies then use a hot water pastry. it makes the pastry more waterproof and then use a puff pastry for the top.

Hot water pastry for base of pies (20 approx)
350g plain flour 1½ tsp fine salt 175ml water 2 eggs, beaten ( glazing pastry) 100g butter,

method and adding mince to pies

1) place flour , fine salt in a bowl and make a well in centre.
2) Put water in a small saucepan with butter and set over a high heat until mixture comes to the boil.
3) Pour into flour well and mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
4) Turn out onto a clean surface and knead until smooth. Set aside for 5 minutes.
5) Roll out dough until 3mm thick and cut out twenty four 7.5cm discs. Place in baking tin .
Divide beef mixture among holes.
6) Cut twenty four 5cm discs of puff pastry to fit the tops . place on top of pie mix and brush with egg, press down on sides to seal, Bake for 25 minutes or until deep golden and crisp on top. Set aside for 10 minutes

i used muffin tray and i used a large coffee mug to cut out pastry rounds. i did not get 20 so plan to get 16up

uli, Nov 3, 2:23am
why the grumpy face aktow?

aktow, Jul 25, 4:53pm
don't know, must have clicked on it by mistake