How to dry excess tomatoes?And dehydrators advice

wendz3, Jan 13, 5:32am
I would like to know how to dry tomatoes off so that I can use them over winter in casseroles, soups etc please?
Also the pros and con's of dehydrators, can these be used for surplus vegies from garden, sealed in bags and frozen or are they a pantry keeper?
Thank you for any help on these two queries.

lilyfield, Jan 13, 8:43am
dried vegies or any other goods do not need to be frozen, store in a dark cool place, verminproof.
Tomatoes take a long long time to dry. I never bothered, easier to freeze, no blanching just chuck into bags. if you want to save space in freezer, boil them down into puree first.
other vegies dry really well, like capsicums, carrots, beans ,peas, parsley, other herbs. even silverbeet,Have done zucchinis , grated beetroot, and cabbage. Was very useful in my tramping days.

wendz3, Jan 13, 3:01pm
Thank you so much, all of which is very helpful when thinking what will be surplus to requirement. Also very handy when vegies become a horrendous price over winter.

lythande1, Jan 13, 6:08pm
I freeze mine - and as puree, for cooking.
Veges don't become a horrendous price - out of season ones do - eat seasonal.

autumnwinds, Jan 13, 8:37pm
This time of year, with this heat, if your car is parked outside in the heat. use it as a dehydrator! No, I'm not kidding.

Just use oven or other trays, cover with baking paper, cut tomatoes int halves or slices, sprinkle with sugar (if liked), lay on trays, and pop into closed-up car. Use back and front window ledges (check those most), and car seats.

Check regularly that they havent overcrisped (have had some in window actually brown on the edges!), and watch for drips in the early stages.

Can store in oil in jar in fridge

A fun project to involve kids in during the holidays.

lilyfield, Jan 13, 8:48pm
I like your thinking outside the square.

fifie, Jan 14, 12:47am
I dry excess tomatoes in the oven i bag them up in zip lock bags and they keep great in the freezer for winter use.
Pre heat oven to 100c, put sheet b/paper on a oven tray slice tomatoes about 1/4 in thick place on papered tray not touching sprinkle with few chopped herbs like rosemary, basil etc gr pepper, salt, light sprinkle brown sugar ( this holds them together) into oven depending on thickness can be 6-12 hours. Check nearer time edge ones will go first they should be soft and pliable not to crispy, remove as they dry let cool and into little bags and in the freezer. Little cherry ones are ideal for drying just cut them in half and do same they may not take so long depending on size. ive heard of them being done in car also apparently it works well.

wendz3, Jan 14, 5:56am
Great ideas, thank you so much for these handy tips.
I would never have thought of using my car, its sitting idle at present as I've a leg in plaster lol.

sinclairsouth, Jan 21, 9:17am
Would it be possible to dry tomatoes in the tunnelhouse instead of the car? The temperature in the tunnelhouse the last couple of weeks has been around the 100 degree mark and sometimes up to 120 degrees so if they were left there all day ? Has anyone tried this and if so what success?