Nice cookie recipe please

huca1, Jan 23, 7:59am
Hi please can someone point me in the direction of a nice cookie recipe I can use with a cutter.
I'm thinking something I can do reasonably thick, decorate and is nice and tasty. Kind of shortbread like but probably needs to be a bit less crumbly.
I am wanting to use it for a party leaving gift thing (not really into party bags but wanting something for the end) thanks.

245sam, Jan 23, 9:15am
VANILLA SUGAR COOKIES FOR DECORATING
As made by Laurel Watson on “Good Morning” several years ago.
From Laurel "The following recipe is the best decorating base I have found as it is tender to eat but still keeps its shape after baking."

185g butter
1 cup caster sugar
1½ tsp vanilla essence
2½ cups plain flour
1 egg

Place butter and sugar in the food processor and whiz until combined. Add the egg and vanilla essence and whiz again to mix, add the flour and pulse until the dough comes together in a ball. Knead the dough lightly then press into a dish, wrap in plastic film and chill for at least 30 minutes. Roll out on a floured workbench to about ½ cm, cut out with a cookie cutter that has been dipped in flour (the dough can be re-rolled once). Put the shapes on a baking sheet lined with non stick baking paper.
Bake at 180°C for 10-12 minutes until just golden, cool on a rack and then decorate.
Variations:
• chocolate cookies substitute ¼ cup cocoa powder for ¼ cup flour.
• Stained Glass Biscuits:- Simply cut out a shape from a larger-size biscuit and drop a Heard’s fruit lolly into the hole, bake as per usual and let cool on the baking paper.

huca1, the above recipe is personally untried however I have posted it many times here on the Recipes MB and received many favourable comments so hopefully it will be just what you're wanting. :-))

huca1, Jan 23, 9:42am
thanks will give it a try and try and remember to post back!

doweasa, Apr 27, 10:43am
Why don't you try substituting half of your flour in the shortbread with ground almonds? This is a very old fashioned type of shortbread and goes beautifully half dipped in chocolate