Cooking/prep for the week

seabee76, Jun 6, 2:39am
I think I might get inspired enough to try a big cook up this weekend.
For me cooking and inspiration dont tend to sit in the same sentence!
Its just me and two teen girls (one vegetarian) one week, then only me the next.

Does anyone do this and have any good tips and ideas? Thanks

bedazzledjewels, Jun 6, 2:50am
If you work out how many chopped onions you'll need for the week's dishes, then have an onion chopping session and get them all done at once!

seabee76, Jun 6, 2:58am
Yay for food processors!
I thought that and grating a block of cheese too.

daarhn, Jun 6, 3:32am
Winter is ideal to pull everything out of the pantry, sort through, rearrange and list what is needed. Key to prep work is organization with ease, managing your time. Start with putting all your indian spices into one big plastic container, along with other containers for other similar spices, baking, oriental etc. Sort through your gadgets and cupboards. Introduce 1 new recipe a week. Bookmark a handful of youtube cooking demonstrations. Organize potluck dinners with a theme. Do a foodies run to all your local markets, spicehuts, to stockup. If your girls invite a few friends of theirs, then perhaps supply what is needed, sit back and let the girls do their own MKR and you be the judge.

lythande1, Jun 6, 3:46am
I used to work 3 days 8am to 7:30pm and then 1 day 8:30am to 5:30pm.
Hated cooking at 8pm. so I used to do a cook on one of my "weekend" days.
I'd make stuff and then freeze so that during the work week I could get it out in the morning and just do the actual cook it bit when I got home.
Soups, casseroles, pies etc.

seabee76, Jun 6, 3:59am
Im thinking I might need a new slow cooker. I had a multi cooker but it melted first time I fried something in it! It would probably be better to have things ready to turf in that rather than nuking meals.

Cooked up some vege soup that did a few days and gave me the idea that I should try this. I have done mince (and quorn for the vege girl) in a big lot before for spag bol, tacos etc. Im keen to have a bit of variety

What I like the idea of is less dishes, and one day of kitchen mess.

awoftam, Jun 16, 6:50pm
Seabee I am doing that this weekend. Making a huge pot of bacon hock soup that I will freeze into one size portions (finished first lot a couple of weeks ago). And a chicken casserole from Gwenyth Paltrow that is just stunning - I divvy that up and just make the dumplings for it when reheating from the freezer, only takes a few minutes. And I may make a Beef rendang as well. That will see me right for a while!