Men's Lunchboxes

ejm, Jan 25, 1:04am
Hello! I'm looking for some new ideas on what to put in my husband's lunchbox. He works on different worksites so unfortunately there are no microwaves, stoves, kitchens etc to heat things up ~Any ideas? ? Thank you, Elizabeth

pickles7, Jan 25, 1:15am
Most men would love a nice "hot chick" in the middle of there working day/night... why not deliver a hot meal to him...

msmeets, Jan 25, 1:19am
Last year with flybuys we got a piemaker, it is the best thing i use the sheets of pastry (one sheet = 2 pies) I make pies with leftovers or make bacon and egg pies and today my husband had 1 leftover stew pie and 1 left over apple crumble for his lunch.
Cheaper than buying and a nice change from sammies and rolls

alebix, Jan 25, 1:19am
Why not let him make his own lunch, he makes it , he will eat it. . My DH does this...

But if your happy to make his lunch, try, wraps, scones, buns insteand of sammies, fruits, freeze a bottle of water so it cold when he is thirsty, a snack bar, small packet of scroggin mix (excellent recipe in this weeks NZWW (4 ingrediants section).
Homemade biscuits, slices...

msmeets, Jan 25, 1:21am
also my husband has just started to enjoy a salad for lunch. put aqll the salad stuff into container and put dressing in another small one (so it wont burn the greens) and at lunch time they can add a small can of tuna or salmon to greens etc.

lisa7, Jan 25, 3:23am
My husband also makes his own lunch! ! But being the good wifey I am, there is a selection of homebaking he can pack from the baking tins; muffins, slices, biscuits. You could make a quiche or something like that, and I second the pie maker, we love ours!

elliehen, Jan 25, 4:54am
There's always the small wide-necked Thermos for a hot pasta mix or a thick soup. The older-style deep-dish 'toastie pie' made with bread travels well too.

trogedon, Jan 25, 4:59am
I (male) always make my own lunch. I mainly have cooked rice and vegetables (as I'm Vegetarian there is never going to be meat in it) and am happy to have that cold (but usually heat it up).

lynja, Jan 25, 6:52pm
for a change buy some bought doughnts, wrap and freeze them, just take one out when needed. also cheese scones with a slice of cheese in go down well.

marina_may, Jan 25, 7:06pm
you make his lunch? Wow your a good little wifey!

I make hubbys lunch every now and then and man is he grateful... if I did it every day he would expect it.

It's the small things in life ;)

darlingmole, Jan 25, 7:24pm
My husband likes to make sandwiches out of leftover cold roast meat ... with my awesome homemade relish of course. Or else he likes rolls, quiche, home-baking, apples and at this time of the year a huge frozen drink that slowly defrosts during his work day. In winter he likes bacon bone soup (with lentils/vege) in a thermos with fresh buttered rolls.

It's hard trying to be inventive day after day with lunches and there's no smoko room (ie electricity to heat things) and eating on site. Good luck with new ideas

gomez19, Jan 25, 9:38pm
hubby makes his own lunch... . pkt of noodles, apple and biscuit. lol how simple can you get... . . usually if we have leftover from tea he is happy to take it to work and if there is heaps left over i leave a little bit for me and #3 for lunch, the rest go to his work-mate... . . sharing lunch at work... and there in there late 30 (hubby said its like school. lol

ellea, Jan 25, 10:43pm
Wish I had a wife... I buy my lunch almost everyday because I can't be naffed making it.

When we have leftovers... I always have good intentions of taking them to work for lunch... but always forget (", )

strange, Jan 26, 2:27am
How bout making your own buns and filling them (better yet he can do that part)

I make bread dough in the breadmaker on the dough cycle. . that gives it one rise and then shape and rise once more. Then bake 10 minutes. So simple really and it gives 12 - 15 buns. I freeze them and then just microwave as needed. You could try differentthings in the dough. . sunflower seeds. . etc

yogideb, Feb 7, 8:16am
A couple of ideas for you which are easy but different.

Burghul - follow instructions on packet and add anything you like in it :suggestions feta cheese, fresh corn, fresh parsley or other fresh herbs, grated carrot, diced red pepper, olives, etc etc. Then pour approx 1/2-1 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 lemon juice and 1/2 tsp sea salt-mix these until it tastes nice - should be tangy but not oily . I mix it all up in a big bowl then transfer to lunch containers. Mmmmmm

Do the same thing above but use fettucine or some other pasta.
You can also change these by using different dressings.

yogideb, Feb 7, 8:17am
A couple more ideas for a hot day - freeze some grapes and dates, by the time he is ready to eat for lunch, they are nice to have on a hot day - cool. The dates taste like caramel.

beaker59, Feb 7, 10:08am
Two thick slices of my homemade sourdough bread a tomato and a tin of sardines in spring water works for me. I make the sandwich at lunch time, lycopene, Omega 3 and fibre in one sandwich.

tonsta2, Feb 7, 9:37pm
I also make HEAPS of pikelets at the beginning of the week and freeze them, and he takes some with butter and jam on, they defrost by lunchtime.

richyrich, Feb 8, 1:19am
get the lazy prick to make his own! ! !

fhpottery, Jul 29, 5:59pm
Panini c/w cheese and tomato pre-inserted. He'll need a small sandwhich press of course, unless he gets a fat builder to sit on it for a while.