Half Price Ricotta - From Simple Savings

toadfish, Apr 30, 7:46pm
Thought I would Share this from the Simple Savings Newsletter... looks worth a try... ... ... NB Prices are in AUD$

-----------------------------

Make your own ricotta cheese and save at least 50% on what you buy at the
shops!

Whenever I buy ricotta cheese it usually goes off in the fridge while I
figure out what to do with it! But recently, Better Homes and Gardens
featured a very simple recipe for ricotta made from scratch.

Ingredients:

2L milk
4 tbsp white vinegar

Method:
Heat the milk until you see small bubbles at the side of the pan. Turn off
the element and add the vinegar. Strain the curds off the top and then drain
through a very clean Chux type dishcloth. Really easy!

Two litres of milk makes 500 grams of ricotta cheese.

While in the deli the other day, I noticed they were charging $1. 00 per 100g, or $10 a kilo! I shopat ALDI, which charges $2. 20 for two litres of milk - that equates to $4. 40 a kilo, less than half the price of store-bought ricotta. Plus, I no longer waste the product that I buy and never use. It also sounds super impressive when you tell people you make your own ricotta from scratch!

You can find the footage at
http://au. lifestyle. yahoo.com/better-homes-gardens/tv/watch/
-/6888083/ricotta/

cookessentials, Apr 30, 7:56pm
I have a couple of great books-one on home cheese making and a home creamery book with recipes for ricotta, sour creams, yoghurt etc which i find really helpful TF - it is so much cheaper to make your own if/when you can and also very satisfying.

ferita, Apr 30, 8:15pm
How to make fresh mozzarella http://www.instructables.com/id/Great-Mozzarella-Cheese/

ruby19, Apr 30, 9:14pm
Sounds very similar to making your own paneer cheese, which I do quite often for my Indian curries. I use 2 ltr full cream milk and add 3-4 tbs lemon juice.

inconsoft, Apr 30, 10:05pm
Thank you for your suggestions. Much appreciated. I was just checking out Paneer cheese recipes on Google yesterday as it is we eat Blood type /Genotype diet(for a few years now)and Paneer is suggested as a beneficial cheese. Will try this today, and maybe in a recipe-some very delicious looking Indian food on Google.

ruby19, Apr 30, 10:22pm
I love the mali kofta recipe on the site "chef in you"he has recently posteda panner cheese curry that I have printed out to try. May be worth a peek.

inconsoft, Mar 20, 9:09am
Thanks so much. That looks delicious, and an interesting site also-I think we'll be spending a bit of time there today.