Pavlova

jofes, Dec 4, 8:52pm
I am going to attempt to make a pavlova this Christmas. I have never made one before in my life so am a bit hesitant. Any tips for me and how long do they last. Any easy recipes would also be appreciated :)

uli, Dec 4, 9:40pm
Put "pavlova" into the search function on your left - select "last year" (rather than the standard 24 hours) and you will be overwhelmed with recipes and tips.

uswoman, Dec 4, 9:56pm
I made one in a crock pot - turned out okay. My only tip - have a good oven thermometer. Had a partner's niece that actually bought them in the store - not that hard to make! Just take your time with it.

mindi1, Dec 5, 4:04am
A pav wouldn't last 10 minutes in my house.

duckmoon, Dec 5, 8:34am
make one this week, so you aren't doing something new on Christms eve

make sure you have an electric beater (at least) or a stand beater (even better)

i use the edmonds' cook book recipe - easy

also remember that a pav needs to sit in the oven for a few hour after cooking - so make sure you have enough time for that.

Finally, the secret is making sure that the sugar is dissolved. you can taste by take a pinch of the mixture and rubbing your fingers together . if it is gritty, whisk for longer

freedreamz, Dec 10, 7:58pm
Even though my pavs are normally ok, my sister told me about Jamie Olivers "Eton mess", if the pav collapses, break it up, place on a platter, decorate with cream, berries, passionfruit and chocolate, easy as.

fruitbat, Dec 11, 8:58pm
I've just made some strawberry jam. with a pinch of chili powder. YUM! That's going onto my PAV.

samanya, Dec 11, 9:27pm
I do like the sound of that.
I love the strawberry/rhubarb combination as well.

40.mum, Dec 12, 1:42am
Edmonds cook book are no fail for me . always triple the recipe as it is very very popular

gennie, Apr 19, 7:17pm
This nevers fails for me and you don't have to worry about when to add things.
4 egg whites
1 3/4 c sugar
1t vanilla essence
1 heaped t cornflour
1 t vinegar
4T warm water

Beat for 10-20 mins until very stiff (you should be able to pile it up high and it won't slump). I use my electric hand beater rather than stand mixer. It's 5mm flat blades get a better result than the thin round ones of the whisk attachment of the stand mixer - gets a lot stiffer.
Cook 1 hr 30mins at 125 degrees. When cooked turn off oven and let cool in oven.