Receipe plese - self basing veg flan?

colliers, Oct 13, 11:32pm
I used to cook this with grated zuchinni which turned out great but cant remember how much flour is needed? Be very grateful for help in this.

rainrain1, Oct 13, 11:48pm
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 Tblsp oil
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1 med onion plus
3 cups vegetables.
peppers
mushroom
bacon
asparagus
corn
peas
zuchinni
Grate cheese on top
Moderate oven. bake till firm in centre when pressed

whoops salt and pepper

unknowndisorder, Oct 13, 11:49pm
Colliery, I have also bumped a thread about crust less quiche, as there are a few recipes in that, so not sure which you are using (if any of them) :)

245sam, Oct 13, 11:51pm
colliers, this recipe from the former Trademe Cooks is the one I use:-

"Spinach Quiche - don't run screaming!
It is really like a deep quiche, and you can't even taste the spinach. It looks lovely and marbled with green - so much so my neice & nephew have renamed it Frog Pie: A good way to eat spinach without noticing. You can add any veges you have: mushroom, broccoli (cook first) or throw in frozen corn or whole cherry tomatoes. The recipe makes a big pie/quiche, but that’s good, because it tastes even better the next day, cold or reheated. 4 eggs 60gms melted butter (optional) 2 cups milk 1/2 cup flour 1/2 tsp baking powder (or use self-raising flour) 1 cup grated tasty cheese (or use lesser amounts of blue or feta) 1 bag spinach, stalks trimmed, cooked & drained Salt & Pepper Preheat oven to 200*C. Whisk eggs, butter and milk together. Pour into combined remaining ingredients. Pour into greased 23cm pie dish or casserole dish, bake for about 45mins until golden brown and puffy.
posted by raevah"

While I recommend the above recipe - it is nice and very easy to make - I have modified the mixing method as follows:

This is my method that produces IMO, a better result - ingredients are as in the recipe above except that instead of self-raising flour I use
½ cup plain flour + ½ tsp cream of tartar + ¼ tsp baking soda:-

Whisk the eggs, butter and milk together.
Gently mix the spinach and cheese – if using blue or feta, crumble the cheese, leaving the pieces of a reasonably big size.
Into a large bowl sift the flour, cream of tartar and baking soda. Gently and gradually mix in the beaten egg mixture, then stir in the combined spinach and cheese, and mix as little as possible. Pour the mixture into a greased 23cm pie dish or casserole dish. Top with the pine nuts (simply omit these if you wish or if you don't have them to hand).
Bake at 200°C for about 45 minutes, until golden brown and puffy.
Serve the quiche hot, warm, cold or reheated – it’s just as good, if not better, the day after it’s made.

Hope that helps. :-))

rainrain1, Oct 14, 1:08am
I forgot to mention, the above recipe of mine is lovely with left over cooked potato, I always make it when I have left over spuds in the fridge, especially new ones, also you can put any 3 cups veg you like into it. It's a good standby quiche. never fails

colliers, Oct 14, 5:35am
Thank you so much you guys - I am housesitting for my pastors and want to do some baking for whn they come home.I thought this would make a nice welcome home tea with some homemade soup. Much appreciate your help.These recipes are great - will make them at home too for myself!

bev00, Sep 1, 1:14am
and again .