Just tried to substitute

n.c, Nov 11, 3:18am
the sugar in my biscuit recipe for applesauce. The 'biscuits' turned out more like scones lol Any suggestions to what I may have done wrong?

TIA

buzzy110, Nov 11, 3:28am
What is the recipe?

n.c, Nov 11, 3:34am
A basic biscuit recipe. butter, flour, baking soda, egg, and normally sugar. I read up on how to do it and what I read said to just substitute as there was no extra liquid to reduce.

davidt4, Nov 11, 4:12am
Do you mean you substituted the sugar FOR apple sauce (i.e. removed apple sauce and added sugar) or substituted sugar WITH apple sauce (i.e. removed sugar and added apple sauce) ?

n.c, Nov 11, 4:26am
I took the sugar out and added applesauce instead. The couple of websites I looked at said I could but it didn't work lol

punkinthefirst, Nov 11, 9:11am
Was it an American recipe that told you to sub applesauce for sugar? Because I think their applesauce is quite a bit thicker than ours - and their cookies are a little less crisp.
Keep on experimenting. the kids will eat them. (The biscuits would be a bit like rock-cakes?) Try reducing the liquid next time. and/or only substitute apple sauce for half the sugar. Baking is really a chemical reaction between all the ingredients. I don't think you'll get really crisp biscuits, but they'll be healthier.

mjhdeal, Nov 11, 7:00pm
I've only heard of the applesauce/sugar swap working with cakes and breads.

Also that it only really works in cookies when used as a substitute for eggs/oil/butter (i.e., as a substitute other 'wet' ingredients).

I have used mashed banana in cookies though (as a sub for flour and eggs), to good results.

eljayv, Nov 11, 7:08pm
I thought applesauce could replace butter or eggs?

kaddiew, Jul 4, 7:07pm
Same. I've only ever used applesauce to replace butter/oil/eggs.