Cream Fraiche

retsky7, Mar 1, 10:53pm
I brought a container of this to use in an éclair recipe I was going to make for some visitors but I still have it in the fridge, does anyone have any nice recipes I could use this in please to save wasting it. Thanks

drommy, Mar 1, 11:24pm
Make a sauce by cooking down a chopped onion, add some mushrooms, add the creme fraiche and a dollop of wholegrain mustard. Lovely over grilled chicken.

davidt4, Mar 2, 12:00am
Roasted Mushrooms with Tarragon & Crème Fraîche

serves 4

12 large flat mushrooms

80 ml olive oil
2 tab lemon juice
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tab parsley, finely chopped
60 ml crème fraîche
2 tsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tsp tarragon, chopped

Heat oven to 200C.

In large roasting tin combine oil, lemon juice and garlic. Add mushrooms and turn to coat well. Season to taste and arrange in a single layer, Roast 30 min, turning occasionally.

Combine crème fraiche, lemon juice, garlic and tarragon.

Serve mushrooms hot in a flat dish with cooking juices spooned over, parsley and crème fraiche drizzled over just before serving.

davidt4, Mar 2, 12:02am
Blueberry & Maple Spiced Risotto (Peter Gordon)

200g Arborio or carnaroli rice
60g unsalted butter (or less to serve cold)
1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
4 green cardamom pods, crushed lightly
3cm stick cinnamon
2 cloves
100 mascarpone or crème fraiche
80 ml maple syrup
2 tab icing sugar
360g fruit - blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, peach, nectarine

Rinse rice in a sieve under warm water for 10 sec. Place in a saucepan with 600 ml water, the butter, vanilla and spices. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until barely tender.

Mix in the mascarpone, maple syrup and sugar, then gently stir in the fruit. Take off heat, cover and stand 5 minutes. Gently stir again.

Serve hot, warm or cold.

davidt4, Mar 2, 12:03am
Omelettes with Chard and Saffron (Ottolenghi)

serves 4

250 g waxy potatoes, peeled and in 1 cm dice
200 ml water
pinch of saffron threads
350g chard, leaves and stalks, shredded
2 tab lemon juice
1clove garlic, crushed
5 eggs
60 ml milk
20 g chopped herbs (tarragon, dill, parsley)
olive oil
100g crème fraiche, cold
salt and pepper

Put potatoes, saffron and water in a large pan, bring to the boil and simmer 4 min. Add chard, salt and pepper, simmer 10 - 15 min or until potato is tender. Drain any excess liquid, off heat add lemon juice and garlic, cool.

Whisk eggs, milk, herbs, salt and pepper. Heat a 22 cm pan, add 1 tsp oil, make four omelettes. Cool.

Divide crème fraiche amongst omelettes and spread over half of each. Check seasoning of chard mix, spread generously over crème fraiche. Fold each omelette in half, fold again into a fan shape, showing a little chard mix at the open side.

Either serve at room temp, or:

Arrange in an oiled oven dish (can be chilled at this stage). Heat oven to 170C and bake 5 - 8 until hot. Serve hot.

davidt4, Mar 2, 12:05am
Use it in place of sour cream in any cake recipe, or serve instead of whipped cream with desserts.

bobolohb, Mar 2, 12:06am
please a recipe for crème brulee

retsky7, Mar 2, 2:20am
thanks a lot, will give one of these a go tomorrow. I didn't realize either that it can be used instead of sour cream :)

bev00, Mar 2, 11:43am
recyclling

dreamers, Jan 23, 9:10am