Pot Luck Dinners.is it still fashionable?

Page 2 / 3
cookessentials, Jun 26, 1:25am
It sure is still fashionable and is a great way to catch up with lots of friends on one go! Last dish I took was "Pam's Creamy potatoes"

daarhn, Jun 26, 2:45am
someone would have rolled in their grave. how common!

daarhn, Jun 26, 2:46am
I bet a slab of our bacon egg pie and pav filled with cream n strawberries would have all those dignatries booking their next trip downunder or send for you. hehe

daarhn, Jun 26, 2:47am
Brilliant Idea. I'm gonna use that

kirmag, Jun 26, 2:54am
Yes and it makes them cook too. When we first started a lot of the non-cooks would bring things like pizza or chinese or hot chips. But theme-ing it meant they couldn't do that and had to think a bit.

soph001, Jun 26, 6:29am
How many people should you invite for one of these things?
We only have 4 chairs.

camper18, Jun 26, 7:52am
We are a group of motorhomers and have one every month to hear about each others trips and adventures. Amazing how much variety we get for the meal.

tarawera99, Jun 26, 8:05am
Now I'm feeling jealous and nostalgic. When we were kids (end of 70s thru to the 80s) we were always going to them. There was always a rice salad from memory.

wendalls, Jun 26, 10:49am
We have 10 of us which is a challenge. Bring in the outdoors table and join it up. Borrow dishes etc.
We pick on one couple who bought these indian ball things for dessert. They were so disgusting (sickly sweet) that we played dice games and the loser would have to eat a ball! Then they did dessert again for our British theme and brought trifle with no sponge n it which we all complained about. All good fun ! Luckily they are thick skinned!

lotsagiggles, Jun 26, 11:01am
There are so many options for people that don' or can't cook instead of takeaways. Eg garlic bread, platters, breads and dips, cream puffs/eclairs, etc. I really don't know why people turn up with takeaways.

kirmag, Jun 26, 8:28pm
I think one of the joys of pot luck is you don't need to sit around the table. Pile up your plate and grab a pozzy where you can (as long as the owner of the house doesn't mind people eating on the couch etc).

maynard9, Jun 26, 8:40pm
I* love them - both hosting and going to them. I nearly always end up coming home with new recipes too.

The last contribution was Toddies Brown Rice Salad. Always get asked for that recipe.

The funniest one I went to had 15 people attending and would you believe it was ALL desserts. 10 pavs. I couldn't eat pav for the remainder of the summer that year.

cookessentials, Jun 26, 11:09pm
it can be casual and if you do dishes that can be eaten with a fork, there is nothing stopping you having it set up in the lounge in front of the fire so people can use the lounge suite and chairs as well as the four dining chairs you have. We have had anything from six to 12 at the ones we have had or go to.

biggles45, Jun 27, 12:40am
Love them. I often do chicken and broccoli or a nice dessert.

We did one when I was working and made it a cultural theme, so everyone bought something from their own culture. That was awesome, we had English, Russian, Indian, Tongan, Kiwi and Dutch.

juliewn, Jun 27, 10:46am
Saving this thread.

lilyfield, Jun 27, 7:25pm
Having one tonight at my house. I am making a huge dish of mixed roasted vegies . Usually pot lucks are missing in greens. No idea what anyone else is bringing, we do not coordinate. Next month is mid winter xmas, traditional cooking which I do, but everyone shares in the costs. Good fun.

Far more fun than eating out , and we can misbehave !

lulu-belle1, Jun 27, 7:46pm
I went to one where all the visitors brought a lasagne. except me, I was charged with dessert whew!

dibble35, Jun 27, 8:30pm
I must admit at a baby shower pot luck dinner last sunday night I cheated and didn't make a thing - everything was bought. I did have a good excuse, I got a text from one sister at 3pm, what are you making for tonight? Didn't even know it was happening . and it was at my house! Had to rush home and unpack excess plates, serving spoons and cutlery etc that I had packed away- i'm shifting house on Wednesday and was just to organised. I ended up buying lots of diff chocs and lollies and that was my pudding, it went down well with everyone, not much left at the end of the night

katalin2, Jun 27, 10:05pm
Having one at my home tonight for about 14 work colleagues. I have made a leek and potato and egg slices dish covered in cheese sauce sprinkled with Parmesan ( I would normally have savoury crumbs on top as well) which should suit both the vegetarians and gluten free people. Just need to heat it up tonight. Also making a chocolate cake this morning as it is a farewell . Love pot lucks as we get such a variety . Don't mind if some bring takeaways, they always go down well too.

lad4, Jun 28, 2:20am
Yup, we have them, and it's always the usual suspects who volunteer to bring the Roast Chickens and Salad, which they pick up from the shop on the way

crails, Jun 28, 3:57am
I'm going to one tomorrow and am taking Thai Green Curry

sunshine248, Jun 28, 4:57am
We live in a little country community and have a community pot luck tea once a month at the local hall. We get between 40-50 people, with a wide Varity of dishes.An enjoyable night .

crails, Jun 29, 9:17pm
Last night we had stroganoff , kumara salad, fried rice, thai green curry , chicken nibbles, suausage caaserole and steame rice mashed potato and crusty bread rolls

toffeey, Jun 29, 9:33pm
Hmmm I recently had an uninvited vegan couple turn up to a pot luck and brought nothing with them. I was furious because they expected me to cater for them (because when I know they're coming I do something extra because I know they wont bother). They then proceeded to quiz the guests who had brought food as to the contents of the dishes. Generally I love pot luck but takeaways etc are a real let down.

gennie, Sep 17, 2:13am
We do semi organised pot luck where we are assigned a category such as dessert or meat or vegie. Means that you don't get 10 pavs!