Beef Rendang!

andrea1978, Apr 29, 9:24am
Who here makes beef rendang and is willing to share a recipe with me? Please? ? ? ? :)

245sam, Apr 29, 9:28am
andrea1978, have a look at:-

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=264794

You'll find a link there to a recipe that was tried and found to be successful. :-))

knowsley, Apr 29, 7:22pm
I have tried quite a few as we like it (my partner is from Indonesia) and this one would be our fav. It's a bit of work, but that's part of the joy of cooking. :o)

Spice Paste Ingredients:

4-6 dried chillies.
2 lemongrass stalks, tops, ends and outer layer removed, cores coarsely chopped.
4 small shallots, coarsely chopped (scant 1/2 cup)
2-3 garlic cloves, peeled
2 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 inch piece of Tumeric peeled and chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon ground
2 inch piece of fresh galangal, peeled and coarsely chopped (optional).
Pinch of coarse salt to season

The Braise Ingredients
2 tablespoons peanut oil
3 whole star anise
5 cardamon pods
Two 3" cinnamon sticks
1 kilo boneless beef chuck or brisket, cut into 1 1/2 to 2 inch cubes
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
Coarse salt
2 1/2 to 3 cups coconut milk or as needed
4 fresh kaffir lime leaves (optional)

Combine the spice paste ingredients and grind to a coarse paste in blender, processor or mortar and pestle, adding 3-4 tablespoons of water as necessary if the paste is too dry. Be sure to grind thoroughly; too many fibers or chucks will be unpleasant.

Heat oil in a wok or large deep skillet over medium-low heat. Add the spice paste and fry, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until the paste appears glossy as the oil begins to separate out of it, 3-8 minutes. If you added water to grind the paste it will take the longer amount of time. Add the star anise, cardamon, and cinnamon and stir to combine. Add the beef and stir to coat the meat with the paste. Season with the sugar and a healthy pinch of salt.

Pour in enough coconut milk to just cover the beef and stir to blend the paste into the milk. Bring to a gentle simmer and braise, uncovered, until the meat is almost tender - about 2 1/2 hours. Stir the beef every 20 to 25 minutes and check that the simmer remains quiet - there should be occasional bubbles but certainly not a torrent. If necessary lower the heat or place on a heat diffuser. The colour of the coconut milk will darken to a light milk chocolate colour as it absorbs the beef juices.

As the liquid reduces to a thick paste, stir in the lime leaves, if using, and continue braising, monitoring the pan more closely. Eventually a clear oil will separate out from the paste. When this happens, stir more frequently, and then fry the beef in the oil until it becomes mahogany brown, another 45 to 60 minutes. During this last stage, you can remove any of the whole spices as you spy them. Collect them in a small bowl, then splash a few teaspoons of water to rinse them, and return this flavoured water to the pan.

If you have used chuck, there will be as much as 1/3 cup of oil in the pan when the rendang is done; brisket will give off less. Either way, spoon off and discard as much oil as you care to. Don't be afraid to leave a bit for flavour. Stir and taste for salt. Serve warm or at room temperature.

andrea1978, Oct 31, 3:06am
I know this is ancient but I've only just seen it. Thanks for the reply knowsley! Looks fab :)