Paleo recipes please

finlight, Jul 19, 9:43am
have dinner with family member gone to this due to health reasons any yummy recipes please and desert

245sam, Jul 19, 9:47am
finlight, try doing a search here on the Recipes MB using paleo as the Keyword and Last year as the Date posted option.
You'll find there are some earlier threads re this topic, so hope that helps and you find want you're wanting. :-))

buzzy110, Jul 19, 11:18pm
I like the sound of this recipe for dessert. It came from mazzy1's "I ditched The Grains. " thread over in Health & Beauty:

This my recipe for Blueberry Cinnamon Coffee Cake from my Cooking for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (Erica Kerwien) It looks complicated as it has a few layers to it but it's pretty easy to assemble.
Cake layer:-
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon (or less)
3 eggs
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3 TBSPN honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup almond milk or SCD yoghurt

Crumble layer:-
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup blanched almond flour (or other nut flour)
2 TBSPN honey
1 TPSPN unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup crushed walnuts (optional)

Blueberry layer:-
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen.
Pre-heat your oven to 175C and line the bottom of an 8 inch square (or smaller) baking pan with paper.
For the cake layer, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon in a bowl and blend well. Add eggs, butter, hone, vanilla and almond milk. Mix well. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and shuffle the pan to spread batter evenly. In another bowl combine all the crumble layer ingredients and blend with a for until crumbly. Spread evenly over the top of the cake layer. Spread the blueberries across the top of the crumble layer. Bake 40 mins or until the top is browned and a skewer comes out clean. Let cool, slice and serve. You can store the cake at room temperature, covered, for a few days or in the fridge for a few weeks (if it lasts that long!) I don't see why you couldn't use fresh stewed rhubarb or apple for this but we love the blueberries.

mazzy1

buzzy110, Jul 19, 11:26pm
In saying that I usually do not bother to provide dessert. I always have fresh fruit and maybe cheese available.

It is really easy to provide Paleo food. Just stick to fresh primary produce and go light on grains (pasta, rice & bread, etc).

Cauliflower rice makes a nice "rice":

CAULIFLOWER RICE
(Here is just one version. You can make whatever flavour you like)
As many caulifower flowerets as you need to the number of people served
Fresh Lime - zested and juice
Garlic and/or ginger - grated or very finely chopped
a couple of Tablspns of Toasted dessicated coconut or Coconut threads
Olive or a Cold pressed nut oil for frying
Salt and seasoning

Wash the Cauliflower and put into a food process and process till it is fine like breadcrumbs
Heat a couple of T oil to a medium heat and add the blitzed cauliflower, ginger and/or garlic
Stir fry for a minute or two till hot
Add Lime Zest, Lime Juice, Toasted coconut and salt, etc.

Serve.

buzzy110, Jul 19, 11:28pm
Cauliflower mash

Prepare appropriate amount of cauliflower. You can include tender stems as well. Steam till just soft
Prepare appropriate amount of parsnip. Cook till tender

Combine the two and mash together.

Once again what flavours you choose to add is up to you.

buzzy110, Jul 19, 11:29pm
Kurmara is often used in place of potato in Paleo dishes but don't go overboard. Kumara is not supposed to dominate the meal in quite the same way that rice and potatoes do in normal meals.

buzzy110, Jul 19, 11:35pm
Use fresh primary produce and stay away from flour and processed foods and added sugars.

Of course there are some prepared foods that can be used because we cannot grow, make or gather it ourselves -

Extra Virgin, Cold Pressed (EVCP or just EV) olive, avocado or nut oils
Cas salmon and tuna
Salt, pepper and spices
Dried herbs
Dairy - cheese, yoghurt and cream
Nuts (usually processed to remove shells)
Frozen peas (I have to say this because I quite like them)
Can tomatoes in juice but not with sugar or other flavours added
Vinegars
Naturally fermented Soya Sauces
Tea and Coffee

I am not sure that list is complete but it is a start.

bedazzledjewels, Jul 19, 11:39pm
Nom Nom Paleo might give you some ideas.
http://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex

buzzy110, Jul 19, 11:41pm
I like sashimi as a starter:

The freshest Tuna and/or Salmon you can find
CPEV toasted sesame oil or raw sesame oil (Usually found with sushi making ingredients. If not ask or go to a health shop)
Yamasa Soy Sauce (Naturally fermented and found with sushi making ingredients in the supermarket, usually)
Chop sticks

Mix the soy and sesame oil into individual small dipping bowls for each person
Finely slice salmon
Cut tuna into larger chunks
Arrange nicely on a small platter

Simple, elegant and totally delicious.

buzzy110, Jul 19, 11:54pm
Then again, someone like me would appreciate a simple stew or curry made from the cheapest meat possible and filled with lots of vegetables such as leeks, onions, can tomatoes, celery, carrots, mushrooms, capsicum, spices, etc, served with lightly steamed vegetables or properly cooked Chinese greens such as Chinese cabbage and cauliflower mash or rice.

A starter of a red cabbage salad:

Finely sliced red cabbage, bruised till liquid comes out, with ½tspn salt, then finely slice red onion and apple cider vinegar added. Leave in fridge overnight to macerate. Before serving add a small amount of julienned carrot and a dash of sesame oil, maybe some parsley and sliced button mushrooms and serve on a bed of small red cos leaves with a slice of tomato, as an entree. It is to die for delicious imo.

kiwiscrapper1, Jul 22, 7:45am
What is Paleo i.e. What do you eat is it low fat high fat no grains no sugar? I asked this in Health and Im too scared to go back it was just about 5 pages of fighting whether it was good or bad lol! I wished I hadnt asked

davidt4, Jul 22, 9:06am
The original concept of Paleo eating was to eat unprocessed or minimally processed foods including vegetables, fruit in season, eggs, fish, meat and nuts. No dairy, no grains, no legumes, no added sugar. There have been many variations but these are the essential guidelines.

Paleo tends to be lower carb than standard eating because of the exclusion of grains and legumes, but it doesn't have to be low carb if you eat plenty of starchy vegetables like kumara, potatoes and carrots.

uli, Feb 21, 1:05am
"Paleo" means eating lots of vegetables, and some protein with each meal (fish, meat or eggs). No dairy products, but some nuts and some fresh fruit. No grains and their derivates, so no bread, pasta, rice, cakes, sugar etc.

"Primal" includes dairy products but again no grains etc. as above.

Hope that helps.