Hot puddings

bev00, Jan 21, 11:17am
STICKY DATE PUDDING - EASY
put 1 1/4 C dates, 1 1/4 C boiling water and 1 tsp baking soda in a blender/kitchen wizz.
Put lid on machine and leave to soak 5mins
Add 60gm chopped butter and pulse till butter melted and dates coarsly chopped.
Add 3/4 C firm packed brown sugar
1C S/Raising flour
2 Eggs.
Blend
Pour into a lined 20cm cake tin.
Bake in moderate -180* ish oven - recipe says for 1 hour but I find its done in 30-40mins.
Stand for 5 mins then remove from tin, onto rack.
Serve hot with caramel sauce.
Sauce - 1C brown sugar, 1/2 C cream, 100gm butter.
Combine ingredients in small saucepan, stir over highish heat till butter melted and sugar dissolved, bring to boil, remove from heat and stand for 10mins, serve over pudding. This is really nice with vanilla icecream

Quotedibble35 (594 ) 12:27 pm, Sat 21 Jan #1

STICKY DATE PUDDING - EASY
put 1 1/4 C dates, 1 1/4 C boiling water and 1 tsp baking soda in a blender/kitchen wizz.
Put lid on machine and leave to soak 5mins
Add 60gm chopped butter and pulse till butter melted and dates coarsly chopped.
Add 3/4 C firm packed brown sugar
1C S/Raising flour
2 Eggs.
Blend
Pour into a lined 20cm cake tin.
Bake in moderate -180* ish oven - recipe says for 1 hour but I find its done in 30-40mins.
Stand for 5 mins then remove from tin, onto rack.
Serve hot with caramel sauce.
Sauce - 1C brown sugar, 1/2 C cream, 100gm butter.
Combine ingredients in small saucepan, stir over highish heat till butter melted and sugar dissolved, bring to boil, remove from heat and stand for 10mins, serve over pudding. This is really nice with vanilla icecream

Quotedibble35 (594 ) 12:27 pm, Sat 21 Jan #1

irenew, Jan 26, 7:47am
mjhdeal wrote:
How about bread pudding? Basic but you can jazz up . I add loads of sultanas, currants, chopped peel, raisins, cinnamon, and mixed spice to mine. I serve it with whiskey cream (whipped cream with a little whiskey added).

Thanks for this suggestion. I made bread and butter pudding for the first time last night for the starving masses from some semi stale Molenburg bread, with butter and plum jam. My boys loved it! So easy, I'll definitely try it again.

karenbnz, Jan 26, 9:14am
Mums Easy Apple Sponge
4 apples peeled and sliced (can be substituted for any fruit.
add water till just covered bring to boil. Switch off element.

Put in bowl
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
tsp baking powder
mix altogether with electric beater

Drain hot apples put into casserole dish
Pour over batter

Bake @ approx 170 deg Celsius 20min

Enjoy

duckmoon, Jan 26, 9:22am
Sticky date pudding

If I have peope coming for dinner, I make the sauce and leave in the pot
And have the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another.

When the main course is about to be served, I mix the two bowl and put into the pre pared pan and it cooks while we are eating the main course

sarahb5, Jan 26, 9:58am
Easiest hot pudding with basic pantry ingredients is self saucing chocolate pudding - have used this recipe heaps

http://nzfavouriterecipe.co.nz/recipes/desserts/65-chocolate-self-saucing-pudding

bev00, Jan 28, 10:53am
some goodies for the archives

dee238, Jan 28, 5:33pm
English traditional Bread Pudding

When in England I lived on this. You could buy it in bakeries. If you wanted simple, and there is nothing fancy in your pantry, this could be it.

Stale bread soaked in water overnight with a good dollop of mixed spices and currants, raisins and any other dried fruit available. The next day the bread would be squeezed to get out the water and the whole thing put into bake for an hour or so. During the war there was no butter to spare for this so it didn’t contain any.

wrinkley, May 29, 12:38am
can you suggest one? i'm not a pudding person but have been asked to make one. something simple as i dont have fancy stuff in my pantry. cheers!

mjhdeal, May 29, 1:14am
How about bread pudding? Basic but you can jazz up . I add loads of sultanas, currants, chopped peel, raisins, cinnamon, and mixed spice to mine. I serve it with whiskey cream (whipped cream with a little whiskey added).

Or, if you have a slow cooker, this self-saucing chocolate pudding is sooo rich and delicious http://tvnz.co.nz/content/1328583/2527449/article.html (scroll to bottom of page)

245sam, May 29, 1:56am
wrinkley, what kind of hot pudding - baked, steamed, crock-pot/slow cooker. ?

If baked is your choice there are so many options, the simplest IMO being fruit crumble or self-saucing. Or I have a recipe for a Hot Swiss Trifle which is very easy to make. It uses Swiss/sponge roll and fruit that is topped with a custard that uses egg yolks - to that stage it can be made ahead, then topped with a meringue made with the leftover egg whites from making the custard and the meringue is briefly baked so the cake, fruit, custard base is warmed through while the meringue is baked, If you're interested in that trifle recipe please ask.

Hope that helps. :-))

cookessentials, May 29, 3:00am
Have bumped the desserts thread for you.

lodgelocum, May 29, 3:24am
How about an apple and boysenberry crumble, with custard or whipped cream and ice cream.

lisapisa2, May 29, 4:24am
The Hot Swiss Trifle sounds fab. I love custard & would love that recipe. yum

lemming2, May 29, 4:31am
A bread pudding is sooo easy, and very popular. I even do it for tramping trips.
Squash some croissants flat (easy in a backpack . !), spread some butter on them, soak them in a custard mixture and layer them in a greased pot or casserole type dish with sultanas, cranberries, chopped up apricots or whatever you fancy. Soak the dried fruit first to soften it. You could soak it in booze if you like. Pour the custard mixture over the lot. My custard mix is an egg, milk, brown sugar and Bailey's Irish Cream .
For tramping I do it in a sort of bain marie over my little gas cooker, but you could do it in the oven. Cover it, and bake at a lowish temperature until nearly setting in the middle. Serve warm.
Dead easy, because it's pretty tolerant of casualness and inaccurate measuring. Just don't have too much egg to liquid in the custard mix, as it'll be too firm.

anna95, May 29, 4:32am
How about lemon delicious self-saucing pudding?

245sam, May 29, 4:37am
Here you are lisapisa2.

HOT SWISS TRIFLE
1-2 cans apricots or peaches, drained
1 Swiss/sponge/jam roll
2 eggs
¼ cup custard powder
½ cup caster sugar
600ml milk

Slice the Swiss/sponge roll and line an ovenproof dish with the slices (an oval dish is best but a round one will do and if the slices are arranged attractively a clear dish is best).
Pour over the apricots or peaches.
Separate the eggs. Mix the egg yolks together with the custard powder and 2 tbsp of the sugar and enough milk to make a smooth paste. Heat the remaining milk. Add the custard powder and egg mixture and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Pour the custard over apricots/peaches. At this stage, the dessert has a better taste if it's allowed to cool, then cover and refrigerate it for a day or two, in which case remove it from the refrigerator ½ hour or so before continuing as follows.
Beat the egg whites, add the remaining sugar and beat until stiff. Pile the meringue on top of the custard.
Bake at 180°C for 15-20 minutes.
Serve with whipped cream and/or icecream.
Serves 6.

I'm not that fond of the usual cold trifle but I really enjoy this hot trifle as has everyone I have made it for. Hope you enjoy it too. :-))

village.green, May 29, 4:40am
Have done this one very nice, also good old kiwi favourite, self saucing choc pudding, loads of recipes for this in books and on intermerwebby.
ps. I had never heard of this until I came to Noo Zilland.

lisapisa2, May 29, 7:31am
Thanks 245sam will give it a go :-)

biggles45, May 29, 7:44am
Sticky date pudding is always a hit, and easy oto make.
Or mixed fruit crumble, or bread and butter pud.

wrinkley, May 29, 11:07pm
thanks. i googled and steamed ones seem to need special bowl for steaming in and i have nothing besides plastic but lemon self saucing pudding sounds yum

sarahb5, Apr 16, 5:56pm
That's bread and butter pudding, bread pudding is completely different and doesn't have the custard/egg mix - made with stale bread and fruit soaked in milk. Delicious served with custard but not something that would necessarily make an impression on guests.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/13355/bread-pudding