Bought a duck and frankly I'm a bit scared

cook, Dec 26, 12:43am
Never cooked one before. Bag says 1.5 to 2 hours at 150C. Will it be OK to just put it on a rack and let the spuds roast slowly in the dripping fat for that same time and temp! Apart from pricking the skin, cutting off any excess fat, rubbing with salt and pepper, and putting a halved garlic head and halved orange in the cavity - do any of you have any tips!

Merry xmas!

cook, Dec 26, 5:37am
I put my ducks into the roasting dish, breast down and add some nice stock and a bit of wine and chilli. Cook at about 150 to 180 degrees C for about an hour or until nearly done (depends on age of duck and size of course - some big ones of mine will take 4 hours).

When nearly done I turn the duck to brown the breast for another 15 to 20 minutes.

Always nice and succulent and never dry, also there is some lovely juices to make gravy from.

I would not prick the skin and i eat all the lovely duck fat which is part of the gravy in the end. Why waste the best and healthiest part of it!

I never stuff my poultry, but if I would i would certainly make up a nice chestnut stuffing for a duck.

Accompany by new potatoes or mash with butter and cream (add some nutmeg)and red cabbage cooked in red wine with cinnamon, cloves and bayleaf and some sliced (peeled!) apples.

cook, Dec 26, 8:17pm
Hi Uli. It turned out fine in the end although I was a bit surprised at how little meat it provided, to be honest. Loosely stuffed cavity with orange segments, garlic, red onion and coriander, and served with roast veges, asparagus and salad. Happy Boxing Day

cook, Dec 27, 5:20am
I am glad it worked out.

yes ducks are not chooks aye! :)
basically all you get is the breast, the lovely fat and two tiny legs (for a lot of money if you have to buy them in the supermarket).

However I always cook any leftover bones and add the gravy to it and make lovely duck soup with veges as another meal.

cook, Dec 30, 4:13am
It was a bit late to be offering my cooking duck advice but this might serve you well in the future:

I always buy mine fresh and get the butcher to joint it. You get a lot more meat that way for some reason.

After the butcher has finished with it I get two meaty breasts, two thighs and legs, two wings, a neck and a carcas.

I roast the carcass and neck for 3/4hr and then put into a pot with water, a dash of vinegar (to help dissolve bone and make a more healthful stock) and vegetable scraps and gently simmer for a few hours. Strain the broth off and Discard the solids. At this point you can cool the stock and freeze till required or just refrigerate.

From there you have numerous options. My favourite is to casserole the legs and thighs using lime (or lisbon lemon) and a leek, carrot,onion, garlic, whatever fresh herbs I decide might be nice and the pre-made stock.

Serves 2 or if you cut the thighs off the legs, 4 small servings.

Pan fry the breasts (diamond slash the skin right through the fat and down to the flesh) starting skin side down in a cook pan and let it heat whilst cooking. This helps release the fat which I drain as I cook because there is quite a lot of it. I set it aside for other things. Turn and brown the underside. The breast is best cooked rare.

Slice and serve with the casseroled legs and thighs and some yum lime and coconut cauliflower rice.

Serves 4.

If I want Peking duck I buy it already cooked from the Chinese shops. Life is too short to make at home as is crispy skin duck.

cook, Dec 31, 7:07am
I used to marinade them Chinese style and roast on a rack with spuds etc underneath. I bred them s there were plenty of ducks