Help!...Chocolate German Cake

maltmaori, Apr 29, 12:57am
Does anyone have a recipe for this cake?

hezwez, Apr 29, 1:06am
x1
kennymac posted this in a previous thread:
CHOCOLATE CAKE (GERMAN) - DRY MIX: 2c Self Raising flour, 2 c sugar, 3/4 c cocoa. mix together. WET MIX: 1 c milk, 1 c lukewarm water, 125g melted butter, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 2 eggs, 1 Ds vinegar. Mix together. Mix the wet mix into the dry mix until combined. Pour into lined & greased baking tin 180 for about 40-50 minutes. ICING 1 c sugar, 3 egg yolks, 1 can evaporated milk, 125g butter, packet coconut. Combine all ingredients in pot heat on a low heat until thick.
If you key "German" in to an anytime search of recipes on the left of this page, you may well find more.

maltmaori, Apr 29, 1:40am
much appreciated... thanks...

cookessentials, Apr 29, 2:00am
Sacher Torte is one of my favourites.

uli, Apr 29, 2:52am
Which comes from Wien - Austria ...

uli, Apr 29, 2:55am
There are literally hundreds of different "Chocolate cakes" in Germany ... what were you after?
A loaf, a roll or something like a Blackforest torte?

lilyfield, Apr 29, 3:25am
Uli- have you ever heard of anyone using Baking Soda in their cooking in Germany? Because I haven't.

uli, Apr 29, 5:57am
No lilyfield - in Germany we used to use baking powder (as you know) - but a lot of "Genuine German recipes" seem to come from America and England - who use baking soda ... and to say the truth - I cannot be fuzzed about it all on here now - not after people go to the effort of finding out my real name and my phone number and ringing me (at night) - to tell me off for what I am posting on here (the recipe board) LOL - how low can you go I wonder ...

Anyway - if poster1 is really interested I am sure you or me can find a "genuine" recipe - if that is what is wanted LOL :)

cookessentials, Mar 15, 5:12pm
maltmaori... here is a sachertorte recipe in German and converted to English below. The ingredients amounts are shown in the German version for your reference.
Sachertorte

Zutaten

* 6 Eier (6 Eigelb, 6 Eiweiss)
* 130g Butter
* 130g Schokolade
* 130g Mehl
* 200g Zucker
* Schokoladenfondant
* Aprikosenmarmelade

Zubereitung
Butter mit Hälfte des Zuckers schaumig rühren, dann Eigelb und die flüssige aber noch lauwarme Schokolade kurz einrühren. Eiweiß mit dem restlichen Zucker zu Schnee schlagen. Beide Massen mischen, vorsichtig Mehl einrühren. Die Fettmasse darf nicht zu flüssig sein, aber auch nicht zu fest, sondern soll ungefähr die Konsistenz des Schnees aufweisen. Bei mittlerer Hitze ausbacken. Die Torte soll vor dem Glasieren gut durchgekühlt sein, daher ist es ratsam, sie einen Tag vorher anzufertigen. Die obere Kante der Torte mit einem Messer abrunden. Oberfläche und Rand mit heißer Marmelade dünn glattstreichen, mit Schokolade überziehen.

English (Sacher Cake) Ingredients: Six eggs (separated), butter, chocolate, flour, sugar, chocolate icing, apricot jam.
Instructions: Stir half of the sugar into the butter until stiff, then briefly stir in the egg yolks and the liquid-but-still-luke-warm chocolate. Mix and beat the egg whites and the rest of the sugar into a meringue. Mix both masses, while carefully adding the flour. The combination should be neither too liquid nor too firm, but should have the approximate consistency of the meringue. Bake in a medium oven. The cake should be well cooled before glazing, so it is a good idea to prepare it a day in advance. Round off the upper edges of the cake with a knife. Spread the top and sides with a thin covering of hot jam, then cover with chocolate icing.