Sauerkraut Question!

amourette, Mar 21, 12:03am
Hi fellow fermenters!I made a sauerkraut around 4 weeks ago, I kept it in the cupboard with only a cloth over it but the cabbage was submerged and weighted down for a week.I then transferred it to the fridge, but I didn't like it as it was too crunchy for me and I was probably being impatient.My question is that since then, I left it on the bench, the cabbage isn't under any brine and I have just not got around to chucking it out.But then out of curiousity I tested it and it seems really nice and softer, but would this still be safe to eat!I would assume since it hasn't been languishing under any brine that it would have gone off but I can't see any mold etc.any thoughts!Thank you

buzzy110, Mar 21, 4:02am
None of us would be keen to take a guess on this. If you think the sauerkraut is fine to eat and it hasn't caused you any problems then it probably is. May I suggest you take out the weight, or whatever it is that is preventing you from putting on the lid, make a 15% brine (15grms of salt to every litre) using hot water to dissolve the UNIODISED salt then topping with cold, untreated water (or boiled and cooled) and pouring it over the sauerkraut, then putting on the lid, tight.

At a guess, you wouldn't get any mould because the salt would prevent that. However, lacto-fermentation is an anaerobic process so while your sauerkraut is in the air it will not be fermenting, merely staying preserved. Kahm yeast is that white stuff that appears on the top of liquid only and happens because the ferment is exposed to air. It is not dangerous, just alters the flavour a little of the kraut.

By ensuring your vegetables are submerged, you are essentially providing the conditions for a lacto-ferment to take place as liquid prevents air getting in.

I hope this helps.

lilyfield, Mar 21, 4:43am
yes its safe to eat