Delish dinner last night

trah, Mar 21, 6:52pm
I had a leg of lamb in the fridge waiting for a cooler day for a roast dinner, but the "use by" date was today so I had to cook it yesterday.I thought I would slow roast it, at a lower temp, then the kitchen would not get so hot.
I googled Slow Roast Lamb and a link to a Nigel Slater recipe came up.Oh boy!It was absolutely delicious!There was a little video clip of him demonstrating the prep, but it is very simple.

For anyone interested:

1 leg of lamb
Fresh rosemary and thyme, leaves only
Salt
Garlic, one head

Crush herbs, salt and garlic in pestle and mortar (I used my food processor) and add a bit of olive oil to make a paste.Rub the paste all over the lamb and put it into a roasting tin.(I laid thestripped rosemary sticks under it).Add 1 cup of water to the tin.(I rinsed out the food processor bowl with one cup water and used that).Cover and cook at 160C for three to three and a half hours.Mine took three.Leave it to rest for 15 mins before carving.Pour the juices into a fat strainer jug and make a gravy - I used a couple of tablespoons of dark bisto.Nigel Slater said to just use the juices au naturel, but to my mind it was improved by the thickening.Tastiest gravy I have ever had!

duce3, Mar 21, 7:16pm
Sounds yummy

lucky1989, Mar 22, 3:44am
yum must do this!

kirmag, Mar 22, 3:50am
Yum.Got a big leg of lamb in the freezer that needs cooking so will do it like this!

figjamto, Mar 22, 11:04am
Nice to do Easter Weekend.lamb seems to be selling a little bit cheaper at the moment.must be my favourite meat

esther-anne, Mar 23, 2:34am
I have been slow-roasting lamb in water for years and years and it really is scrumptious.That paste sounds great so if/when I can ever afford leg of lamb I will do it just like that.Thanks for the tip trah!

I pour off the gravy, which is yummy, put into the fridge to separate the fat and then make gravy in the normal manner with the fat and add remaining juices plus some chicken stock if necessary.I turn the heat up on the lamb to give it a golden crispy fat.And I use Parisienne Essence to brown it because it is tasteless.

Gosh now I simply will have to get some lamb - drooling!

trah, Mar 23, 4:21am
If anyone else tries this, come on and let us know what you think.