Chocolate mousse with no cream

catlover28, Mar 24, 9:17pm
Ive searched but havnt found the recipe Im after. Maybe some of you fine people may have one. This one has eggs and chocolate but no cream.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 24, 9:35pm
A "proper" classic chocolate mousse doesn't have cream in it anyway.

Here's Elizabeth David's recipe -

http://www.lovefood.com/guide/recipes/10569/chocolate-mousse Then again here's Heston Blumenthal making one with just chocolate and water. Must try this someday -
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=g28-9NVUHj0

davidt4, Mar 24, 9:41pm
I have never included cream in a chocolate mousse.I use Elizabeth David's recipe:

175g top quality dark chocolate, at least 70% cocoa solids.
1 tab brandy or rum or strong coffee
30g unsalted butter
4 eggs, separated

In a bowl over simmering water melt the chocolate in the brandy.Stir until completely smooth and cool for 10 minutes.Stir again, and add butter, stir until amalgamated.Stir in egg yolks until complete amalgamated.Whisk egg whites to soft peaks (not stiff and dry), fold in a third until completely amalgamated.Very gently fold in remaining egg white until just combined.

Pour into glasses or ramekins and chill several hours until set.Improves with at least 24 hours chilling and will keep at least 5 days in the fridge.

An orange variation is very good - use orange juice or Grand Marnier instead of the brandy, add a grated zest of an orange.

davidt4, Mar 24, 9:42pm
Snap !

bedazzledjewels, Mar 24, 9:51pm
Now I know it's the best recipe out there DT4!

davidt4, Mar 24, 10:09pm
I've been making it since I was in my twenties.I probably used Energy chocolate then, but Green & Black 85% is more to my taste now.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 24, 10:28pm
I made it back then too, when I had tiny paperback versions of her books. And I'll bet I used energy chocolate too as there was nothing else. Willie's Cacao is bringing out an 88% Colombian chocolate soon which will be interesting - too expensive for mousse though. The Green & Black is my choice for special occasional chocolatey things too.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 24, 10:33pm

catlover28, Mar 25, 6:24am
You beauty!