Preserving capsicum

susievb, Mar 25, 10:27pm
I have capsicums growing, and have sliced up the red ripe ones and free flowed froze them in the deep freeze, but space is limited.

Has anyone done dried capsicum in the oven (I don't have a dehydrator) and put in oil! if so how long did you dry it for!

sclaredy_cat, Mar 26, 12:54am
I have done it in the dehydrator, and I imagine you'd get a similar result with the oven method. I just stored mine in jars. Kept really well just like that. Otherwise I did a whole lot in brine a couple of years ago, they were really good too.I could give you the recipe if you like.

The other day I went to buy sauce tomatoes and came home with a shopping bag full of capsicums. At 25c each I couldn't resist. I've free flow frozen them as well as I just couldn't face any more pickling! I have pretty much run out of freezer space this year now so I can finally stop the preserving madness I think :)

samanya, Mar 26, 1:46am
I've done red capsicums in oil, without drying first.
I sear under the grill & peel then let cool & pack into jars & cover with Olive oil & keep in the fridge.
They are not crisp, in fact quite soft & I use them for garnish etc.
Hope that helps.

susievb, Mar 26, 5:30am
Thanks for your replies, looks like I can try on a low heat in the oven (at least they are not juicy like tomatoes) for a few hours on fan bake. I may add some garlic at the same time and when cooking, to add to the oil.

rkabwpf9hy, Jul 13, 8:48pm
Ouh my no doubt after watching the Roof Top Prince, i kinda like the sipmle meal prepared by Park Ha. And here I am looking into the recipe, indeed its sipmle and straightforward. Thanks for sharing, at least now i know what i do if i have left over rice which normally gosh into the rubbish bin.

pzhanyvj, Jul 16, 11:20am
Gosh, how yummy and simple! You have lots of cilelhis mine are on the wane now. I will miss them terribly when they are over.I think I am going to use the last of my chilli produce on the weekend to make harissa. But I might get taken down a sambal oelek path