Rabbit (wild) recipes

john946, Mar 17, 9:08am
I'd like to hear from those who have really tasty rabbit (wild) recipes, eg casseroles probably.Would like "tried and true" ones plse. Thks, C

lythande1, Mar 17, 6:46pm
Pretty much any casserole chicken recipe can be used.
I like the honey mustard one with Rabbit.

cgvl, Mar 17, 8:25pm
this is the one I use.
Ingredients: rabbit
1onion chopped
1clove garlic minced
60g butter
2 rashers of bacon chopped
2Tbsp flour
½ cup red wine
1½ cups water
1beef stock cube
22og mushrooms in butter sauce
salt and pepper

Step one: joint the Rabbit.
Cover the rabbit with water and add 1Tablespoon vinegar, stand 1 hour. helps to remove the gamey taste and tenderise the meat. Drain

Step 2: brown rabbit and place into a casserole dish.
saute the onions, garlic and bacon, remove from pan and into casserole dish. keep pan juices.
Into pan juices stir in flour, add wine, water and stock cube. Stirring bring to boil, reduce heat and add the can of mushrooms, Pour over rabbit in casserole.
Cook in a slow to medium oven150-180C for 2-3hours or simmer on stove top for 1½ to 2 hours.
Note: You can add other vegies if you like such as celery, carrot etc.
Also instead of water and a stock cube use 375 mls beef stock. the canned mushrooms can be replaced with fresh too.

I serve this with a Pecan Nut Rice

beaker59, Mar 17, 10:56pm
I do what cgvl does though it varies allot depending on what veg I have and use whatever wine is at hand and sometimes leave it out. I once got a basket of wild mushrooms while hunting once and had it with those mmmmmmmmmm that was nice. Dried apricots are a worthy addition as is Paprica Thyme sage rosemary bay leaves etc

I sometimes also add the kidneys and liver I pull them out anyway to check the rabbits health so why not EH!

john946, Mar 19, 8:35am
Thanks will try these out.If you have the time, I'd be interested to know your Honey Mustard one lythande1.