Sugar snap peas

dolphin9, Mar 16, 9:21am
I bought a frozen stir fry vegetable mix that included sugar snap peas that were gorgeous.Then at the supermarket I saw fresh sugar snap peas in the produce dept so bought them took them home and stir fried them, but you couldn't eat the outside bits where the frozen ones you could.Did I cook them wrong or are the different varietys!

elliehen, Mar 16, 10:00am
It must be that they were not as tender and fresh as they should have been.As with the green beans in the supermarket, garden-fresh beans are a world apart for tenderness and frozen vegetables are produced at the peak of freshness.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 16, 6:45pm
Might they have been snow peas rather than sugar snaps!

donnabeth, Mar 16, 8:28pm
Both snow peas and sugar snaps need to be picked very young, otherwise you get a lot of stringy tough bits,(they grow like triffids so don't worry about the older ones gong to waste-the compost will thank you)

pogram0, Mar 16, 8:39pm
I haven't been able to buy sugar snap peas for quite some time now.They are available over the winter time because they are imported from Zimbabwe but for some reason don't seem to be grown locally.Why!They are a vegetable that grows during the spring / summer time and they do command quite a high price so you would think they would be a profitable crop.But I still continue to look for them and still can't find any.