Slow cooker help pretty please.

Page 1 / 2
philzara, Apr 27, 8:15pm
I'm going to be using mine for the first time today!
I would like to attempt curried sausages, can someone please tell me how much liquid? I make it all the time on the stovetop, but I can remember someone once telling me you only need a small amount of liquid in a slowcooker. Thanks.

margyr, Apr 27, 8:19pm
will watch this with interest philzara, i used mine for the first time last week, and used a packet mix for beef hotpot, when i put everything in i thought hmmmmmmmm must be a mistake it does not say to add liquid, so i added a cup or two, it was yum but turned out more like a soup.

margyr, Apr 27, 8:25pm
i just looked through some old threads and one says to put 1 cup of water, another says to use the maggi golden? curry sausage mix. shopping day for me tomorrow so will have a look at the packet mixes, i use some of them and just add my own extras.

philzara, Apr 27, 8:30pm
Hmm, I guess it will be trial and error! I don't have any maggi mixes and I just did the shopping yesterday. I think I might have to get a slow cooker recipe book.
I will try 1 cup of water, thanks margyr!

clair4, Apr 27, 8:40pm
Just looked up a curried lalamb chops recipe and it says 1/2 cup chicken stock. I presume for sausages it would be about the same. The steam from them cooking will add moisture your sausages.

clair4, Apr 27, 8:44pm
Sorry about the spelling of lamb. The hot and sour sausages say to add 1-1/4 cups chicken stock.

philzara, Apr 27, 8:50pm
Thank you clair4, I've googled it and have come up with the same, 1-1 1/4 cups of water or stock.
Well I will go put it on and hope for the best!

fifie, Apr 27, 9:41pm
Just use your normal stove top recipe but add less water, around 1-1/2 cups depending on how many sausages you are using and thickening used. If its a bit thick at meal time take out sausages add a little boiling water stir well put sausages back in turn C/P to high and cook a bit longer. . Enjoy... . .

alewis, Apr 27, 9:59pm
I have had a crock pot for years and because the lid is tight all condensation goes back into the pot, when I make corned beef I put just enough water to cover the bottom of the pot, when finsihed the liquid level is more like 2 inches - so this will give you a good indication of how much extra liquid you will end up with, my understanding is you must cover the bottom to get it going, but once you get the hang of it, its just the best thing for winter

philzara, Apr 27, 10:21pm
Thanks everone!
Yes auckland_ali once I get the hang of it I think I'm going to love it, as I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old and I'm I'm starting with home grown kids as a home carer. I am going to be looking after a 4year old and a 15 month old. I'm really looking forward to it, just want to get a routine sorted! !

245sam, Apr 27, 10:55pm
When using traditionally cooked (stove-top/oven) recipes for/with crockpot/slow cookers a general rule is to reduce the liquids by half, unless rice or pasta is in the dish and if making soup, reduce the water content only so that the ingredients are all covered - if a thinner soup is desired, more liquid can be added at the end of the cooking time. :-))

fruitluva2, Jun 29, 9:28pm
So a little water in a roast is needed? also does the veggies all go in the cooker the same time as the meat? I read somewhere that its best not to open the cooker so wondered about it.

pat56, Jun 29, 10:11pm
Did sweet curried sausages (from scratch, gone off ready made sauces) last week & used 1 cup stock 'cos we like some 'gravy'. Was fantastic

ballito, Jun 29, 10:27pm
Like pat56 I don't use packet stuff and it is very easy to make your own devilled sausages or curried sausages from scratch and it doesn't take up any extra time. I just use the same recipe that I use on the stove top and it always seems to work for me.

fruitluva2, Jun 29, 10:39pm
Oh yummy, I'mlooking forward to making curried chickpeas in the SC.
My own homemade sauce of course.

fruitluva2, Jun 29, 11:39pm
Makes sense to prep the food the night before, do the roast veggies need a little water to cook? Thanks for any help

fruitluva2, Jun 30, 7:13am
Well the roast was okay, not too keen on meat falling apart what a mess it'll be to serve diners, glad it wasn't the prime cuts roasted.

philzara, Apr 27, 8:15pm
I'm going to be using mine for the first time today!
I would like to attempt curried sausages, can someone please tell me how much liquid? I make it all the time on the stovetop, but I can remember someone once telling me you only need a small amount of liquid in a slowcooker. Thanks.

margyr, Apr 27, 8:19pm
will watch this with interest philzara, i used mine for the first time last week, and used a packet mix for beef hotpot, when i put everything in i thought hmmmmmmmm must be a mistake it does not say to add liquid, so i added a cup or two, it was yum but turned out more like a soup. so next time i will follow the instructions.

margyr, Apr 27, 8:25pm
i just looked through some old threads and one says to put 1 cup of water, another says to use the maggi golden? curry sausage mix. shopping day for me tomorrow so will have a look at the packet mixes, i use some of them and just add my own extras.

philzara, Apr 27, 8:30pm
Hmm, I guess it will be trial and error! I don't have any maggi mixes and I just did the shopping yesterday. I think I might have to get a slow cooker recipe book.
I will try 1 cup of water, thanks margyr!

clair4, Apr 27, 8:40pm
Just looked up a curried lalamb chops recipe and it says 1/2 cup chicken stock.I presume for sausages it would be about the same. The steam from them cooking will add moisture your sausages.

clair4, Apr 27, 8:44pm
Sorry about the spelling of lamb.The hot and sour sausages say to add 1-1/4 cups chicken stock.

philzara, Apr 27, 8:50pm
Thank you clair4, I've googled it and have come up with the same, 1-1 1/4 cups of water or stock.
Well I will go put it on and hope for the best!

fifie, Apr 27, 9:41pm
Just use your normal stove top recipe but add less water, around 1-1/2 cups depending on how many sausages you are using and thickening used. If its a bit thick at meal time take out sausages add a little boiling water stir well put sausages back in turn C/P to high and cook a bit longer..Enjoy.....