Venison Topside.

susieq9, Feb 22, 1:21am
Have just been given some fresh, and would like some ideas how to cook it. TIA

mumstu, Feb 22, 3:56am
Oooh yum.Is it steak pieces or a topside roast!

beaker59, Feb 22, 7:13am
If it was a good animal then I would steak it. If a bit tough then I would mince it and fry as Patties. other than that I would cut into chunks and casserole or stew it.

I usually when deciding cut a small steak off one end then fry it to test flavour and texture.

I should add that I rarely roast venison I far prefer steaks or mince.

rainrain1, Feb 22, 7:22am
yea. yucky stuff unless fried or minced

mumstu, Feb 22, 8:35pm
I pot roast venison a lot.My men hunt and get it all the time and one of the favourite ways to have it is to pot roast it.

Brown the slab of meat well on all sides.I then pop the meat into the crock pot.Add a small amount of water to the pan you have browned the meat in and scrape all the lovely brown stuff off the ban and mix into the water.

Pour this over the meat in the crock pot.Add a couple of sliced onions/carrotsetc and a bit of water to come up to about half way on the piece of meat.

Turn on high and leave.When you are ready to eat you can take some of the water out and add salt and pepper and thicken into a yummy gravy.

Otherwise I just brown the meat well in a pot and add the water and cook the same way on the stove (I usually do this when I am home for the day so I can watch it).

susieq9, Feb 24, 11:14pm
Thanks. Made a casserole and put some home grown tomatoes into it as well. Cooked it in the crockpot. Very tasty.

beaker59, Feb 24, 11:38pm
Well done, its one of my favourite meats.