Beetroot and Orange Pickle

lindylambchops1, Mar 1, 3:07am
This sounds delicious!

Beetroot and Orange Pickle (from A Pickle and Chutney Cookbook by Digby Law)

1kg raw beetroot
1 medium cooking apple
500g onions
Thinly peeled rind of 1 small orange
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1¼ cups wine vinegar
250g brown sugar

Peel the beetroot and cut it into large cubes. Peel, core and slice the apple and finely chop the onions. Finely chop the orange rind and mix it with all the prepared ingredients in a large saucepan. Add the ginger, garlic, vinegar and sugar.
Bring the pickle to the boil, cover the saucepan and reduce the heat. Simmer gently for about 1½ hours, stirring occasionally. The beetroot should be in chunks and the pickle quite juicy. Remove the lid and cook for a further 20-30 minutes until the juices thicken.
Transfer the pickle to hot, clean jars and seal.
Makes about 1.5 litres

samanya, Mar 1, 3:21am
I made a couple of batches of Digby Law's beetroot relish/chutney (not the one you've given but pretty similar, included raisins) & I added the zest & juice of a couple of oranges & it also had a couple of tbs of chopped mint in it & I'm very pleased with it .it's lovely.

lindylambchops1, Mar 1, 3:45am
Great I like your additions, thanks for sharing!

vonkrum, Mar 1, 5:39am
samanya, could you share the straight beetroot recipe that you used please.

samanya, Mar 1, 6:19am
Sure, I will, but just about to eat dinner & then watch the mighty Crusaders.so give me a few hours & I'll willingly share.

samanya, Mar 1, 8:55pm
Hi vonkrum .this is the original recipe of Digby Law's that I changed a little
Beetroot & mint chutney
1.25 kg beetroot
250g raisins, finely chopped
2 onions finely chopped
1tbsp salt
1 tabs ground allspice
4 whole black peppercorns
150g brown sugar
2 cups white vinegar
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
prepare the beetroot. Combine the raisins, onions, salt, allspice, peppercorns, sugar, vinegar & mint in a pan & bring to the boil.
Lower heat, cover & simmer for about one hour until the mixture has thickened. Stir often to prevent sticking.
Add the prepared beetroot & simmer for a further 20 mins or so until all ingredients are thoroughly blended. Remove from heat & allow to cool.
Spoon into hot, clean jars & seal.
The first batchI made I didn't read the instructions properly & bunged it all in at the beginning & it made no difference.
I though it was a bit runny, so I thickened it near the end.

vonkrum, Mar 1, 9:03pm
thanks samanya, will give this a try.Love beetroot chutney.

samanya, Mar 1, 11:18pm
I still have heaps of beetroot in the garden needing to be used & I reckon that Lindylambchops recipe is worth a try, too, I like beetroot/orange/ginger flavour.