Best restaurants in the city

ctturner, Mar 5, 4:25am
Ok, So its not recipes, but the foodies know all the good places to eat!

My Girlfriend and I have our 6month anniversary tomorrow and although we decided not to bother buying anything silly, I think I will take her out to dinner. Only problem is, I don't dine out too often. Potential suburbs would be the CBD/Viaduct or Mission Bay/St Heliers area! Im not fussy on the type of restaurant, however being a poor student, id like to cap it at about $100 all up

Annnnnny ideas, much appreciated :)

antoniab, Mar 5, 5:06am
Coco;s Cantina on K-road is a great little place, great atmosphere and you could get 2 mains and 2 puds or entrees for $100.

If you find some extra dosh, Euro at the Viaduct is really nice (Simon Gaults sp!) restaurant but more pricey, think it cost is around $250 for 3 courses for 2 people and wine for one. Or Meridiths in Mt Eden but they only do 9 course degustation menus on the weekends and thats $140 a head not including drinks.

Cafe Hanoi is also really nice, down by viaduct-ish (I dont know AKL too well sorry) you cant book but its lovely vietnamese food and they do awesome puds and cocktails too - reasonably priced as its more small plates to share.

Oh and happy anniversary! Going out for a nice meal is hubby's and my treat for our anniversarys too - hence driving up to these ^ places from Hamilton for a meal :)

davidt4, Mar 5, 5:44am
Sunday Painters in Ponsonby Road is very good, so is Depot in Federal Street.For somewhere a bit quieter and more romantic Two Fifteen in Mt Eden is very elegant, quiet, with very good food.

janeny1, Mar 5, 11:06pm
If you like Indian food, the Urban Turban (Wynard Quarter by Viaduct) is very good.My uni student son took us there last week -- 4 adults. we all had entrees, main, dessert and coffees. cost around $220 so I'm sure you could make it $!00 for two