My biscuits were soft! :(

dinkypinky, Mar 5, 8:09am
made peanut biscuits yesterday - using an old family recipe. but they didn't end up firm. don't want hard bikkies, just firm!Any ideas! Thanks!

kateley, Mar 5, 8:20am
my guess is that you either used marg instead of butter - or you used one of the cheaper brands of butter that have added water.

dinkypinky, Mar 5, 8:27am
used Tararua butter. maybe not enough flour!

lindylambchops1, Mar 5, 8:31am
Did you leave them on the baking tray to cool!Leaving them on hardens them off.

myself001, Mar 5, 8:34am
Cook them longer

campmother2002, Mar 5, 8:34am
YOu need to roast the Peanuts first and then you will ge nice crunchy biscuits!I use the Edmonds Recipe and never have a problem.

dinkypinky, Mar 5, 8:34am
had to whip them off the baking tray quickly as starting to brown too much on the bottom!maybe that was that. thanks!

nauru, Mar 5, 11:02am
What oven temp did you use!Maybe turn heat down if browning too much on bottom and bake a little longer.I use baking paper lined trays too

rainrain1, Mar 5, 9:48pm
this. bit of trial and error sometimes to get your temp right *1, once you have mastered it, write it down beside the recipe

flower-child01, Mar 6, 1:01am
One thing I have discovered is a simple hint: when baking biscuits, creaming the butter and sugar, do so just till it turns a creamy colour, do not over cream it. Whereas when baking cakes the creamier the better.

I also have changed from chelsea sugar, using Countdowns Canefieds instead. Otherwise i use all quality brands, mailnd Butter, Champion Flour, Hansells raising agents.