pericles, Mar 6, 12:11am
mmm is this a trick q!
bacon stock without bacon mmm

twindizzy, Mar 6, 12:12am
No, you have to use ham

cw_jc, Mar 6, 12:20am
oh yup thanks for that. Really helpful.

245sam, Mar 6, 12:47am
Not a trick Q IMO - I think what cw_jc means is can she make bacon stock using boneless bacon meat rather than bacon bones or bacon hock!

cw_jc, with the obvious exception of vegetable stock, stocks are usually made with bones because the bones contribute to both the flavour and the setting quality of the stock - I was always told that an indicator of a good stock is how well it has set when chilled to allow for easy removal of any fat.
I personally wouldn't make bacon stock from good bacon (I can think of much better uses for the bacon) but if you really need/want to make bacon stock and don't have any bones, then I would suggest that you do so.:-))

valentino, Mar 6, 1:57am
Gosh, the best part re using bacon bones is the bone marrow that comes out along with all that nice bacon flavour including those hanging on bits of bacon meat.

And the best part is when the bones are fully stripped and cooled enough to handle is when with your hands to have that final lick, suck, whatever to get those remaining juices, YUMMMMM.