Hokey Pokey Biscuits:What's the Secret

donnabeth, Feb 21, 11:00pm
to making them light and crisp! I want to make them for an overseas visitor, but haven't made them for years, Mine were always dry and doughy or flat but crisp. I don't think I've ever made them perfect.

cookiebarrel, Feb 22, 3:53am
Do you use the Edmonds recipe!

jessie981, Feb 22, 4:50am
Might be the recipe. Sounds like too much flour & not enough golden syrup

hollypc, Feb 23, 12:03am
Try this one ,Put in saucepan and melt 1 cup sugar, 250g butter,1 1/2 tablespoons goldensyrup. When melted add 1 tsp baking soda.Then add 2 1/2 to 3 cups flour. .
This is a old recipe , I made the edmonds one last weekend and my recipe is nicer and lighter.

hollypc, Feb 23, 12:44am
an when you add the baking soda leave on heat and stir an it sorta looks likehokey pokey

harrislucinda, Feb 23, 6:47am
andtoputcrackelon top,pressdownwith awetbaseofsomething youusetopressdownbydippingintocoldwater

lurtz, Feb 23, 7:42am
What is the method of baking the biscuits after the saucepan mixing!

red2, Feb 23, 7:44am
I find it pays to cool the mixture before rolling it up and baking

lurtz, Feb 23, 8:19am
Thanks red2.

gardie, Feb 23, 9:15pm
Best hokey pokey biscuits I've made!Cooked long and slow 135 20 mins + (biscuits should feel quite firm to the touch so they crispen on cooling).

arrowmax, Feb 23, 9:22pm
I use this recipe and it is great - not sure who's it is - the comments are not mine, but whomever I got it from!

Hokey Pokey Biscuits

This recipe is from an old Farmers book which i use all the time it never fails.
4oz butter,
3/4 cup sugar,
1 cup flour,
1 small tsp. b/soda,
1 tsp b/powder,
1 dsp golden syrup,
1 dsp milk.
Cream butter & sugar, heat the milk,goldensyrup and soda in a saucepan till it foams. Add to creamed butter and sugar. Add flour & b/powder and mix well. Roll into balls and put on cold greased tray - press with fork. Bake 275-300 for 20 minutes. ENJOY!

camper18, Feb 24, 8:47pm
Leave your biscuits on the tray until they cool,after taking from the oven and they will be a lot crisper.

shop_tiludrop, Feb 25, 7:35am
Yes use the edmonds one, but make sure the mixture has cooled down properly before adding the flour etc, it does make a difference.

vinee, Feb 27, 3:20am
The best bikkies ever!
Sometimes I add a bit of ginger and if I want to get real fancy I make the ginger crunch icing and put on top. Even fancier - crystallised ginger or a bit of walnut on top of that.
and other times I switch the golden syrup to honey for a yummy honey bikkie.

donnabeth, Feb 27, 8:47am
Stones for skimming is all I could describe them as. Tomorrow I'll try again.

donnabeth, Feb 27, 8:49am
arrowmax that's the original recipe I used-not the pot one, although last week;s one was. Maybe the mix was too warm.

propagator, Mar 1, 1:42am
I find that adding an extra ounce of butter makes any biscuit crisper.

rainrain1, Mar 1, 1:49am
edmonds book.just don't add quite a much flour as the recipe says, they should be quite soft to roll

harrislucinda, Mar 1, 6:02am
justmadetheseandyummhadanotherrecipewhichithoughtwasthebest-- butnowthinktheseareso thanks

denbru, Mar 1, 6:08am
Hi bobcat I have just come online and decided to look at this thread, it is my recipe I posted ages ago, yes they are a lovely crisp biscuit, my family love them especially the grandchildren. Enjoy!

flower-child01, Mar 6, 1:11am
I made these today but I feel the 3/4 c of sugar is too much. I might try with 1/2 c next time.

donnabeth, Mar 6, 10:43pm
My dentist is likely to become rich if I carry on like this. What can I do with all these dry yet tasty bricks I'm making! My husband suggested making a sherry log from them. There's certainlyno danger of them dropping into the cup when I dunk them. The next thing to try is more butter.