Does Vinegar go off?

skull, Mar 7, 5:32am
Down to the last third of a litre bottle of brown DYC Malt Vinegar and there's floaty jellyfish thingys in it. It's down the plughole now but nice to know for the future, I'm almost at retirement age and never seen it before.

hilt_dwane, Mar 7, 5:37am
Its called a beard - just strain it off and dispose of it. The remaining vinegar is fine to use

nfh1, Mar 7, 5:49am
Yes I had one too and threw mine away - I thought it was off!

lurtz, Mar 7, 5:52am
It's harmless. There are others within recipes who are very helpful and have far more knowledge about vinegar fermentation, so I'll leave it to them to explain the finer details.

It forms with the Raspberry vinegar I make, and I've always leftit invinegar.

elliehen, Mar 7, 5:58am
pickles7 is the go-to person about vinegar.Here's the link to her vinegar blog :)

http://makingvinegar.blogspot.co.nz/

elliehen, Mar 8, 1:41am
Bumping for pickles7, who might have missed this opportunity to share her extensive knowledge about vinegar.

nzbrat, Mar 8, 6:04am
I had my last bottle of vinegar for (get this) 6 years.only used it for dressings.it tasted the same as the first day I opened it.only finished it at christmas.I was guttered to have to buy another one lol.this one hopefully will last the same.the price tag was $2.45 the most economical item of food Id ever bought.