Kitchen Mixers

ribzuba, Mar 8, 9:47pm
So I bought a Kenwood Chef two and a half years ago and last night it died.I bought it to be the same model one my Nana had given me which had been around since the 60's. I thought that they would still be great quality and I did a little reading and it seemed to be the case.At $600 I also thought it was a reasonably price to pay for something I expected to last and was the most I could afford. This one though has been nothing but trouble.The top would constantly pop up and the motor would turn itself down or off during use.I am thinking about buying a Kitchen Aid to replace it but am a little nervous that they too may have gone down in quality. To be entirely honest I haven't actually heard anyone rave about a mixer they have bought recently (I am a chef and everyone I know has one but no outstanding favourites). I would be interested in hearing opinions about something that can withstand high use in a domestic kitchen and last for years.I don't mind paying more if it will actually last but don't want to spend the money for something to break again!

04redsox, Mar 8, 10:23pm
My Kenwood KM210 is great, gets used several times weekly every week, but I bought it 20 years ago, maybe even a little more than 20 years. So I can't comment on current quality.

Did you have any warantee/guarantee!

millseys, Mar 8, 10:42pm
Can't fault my 2009 KitchenAid. It gets a hammering and goes goes goes

bunny51, Mar 8, 10:51pm
Is it still under warranty! I have a kenwood which is about 5 years old and never had any problems with it. It even bounced off the bench the other day when my daughter was making bread in it and she walked away leaving it kneading (rather quickly). It is still working as good as it ever was.

pickles7, Mar 8, 11:19pm
I have two Kenwood mixers wouldn't use anything else, a mate sold his Kitchen Aid on here he hated it, it was not robust enough. If your work load is high you probably need a Kenwood Major.
The warranty should not have expired.

cookessentials, Mar 8, 11:28pm
Interesting comments KitchenAid is one of the most robust on the market which is why a lot of professional chef's use them. They are still hand assembled in the USA and areand all metal construction.I have one and I love it. I prefer it because it is gear driven as opposed to belt driven high wattage things that are available. I like the fact that it mixes to 67 points in the bowl as opposed to about 11 with the likes of Kenwood and Breville etc. Sadly, the Kenwood mixers today are nothing like their older models.

cookessentials, Mar 8, 11:29pm
Take your machine back to where you purchased it. it does not sound like it was right from the beginning.

lemming2, Mar 9, 6:55am
Doesn't matter if the Warranty has expired. the Consumer Guarantees Act requires that any appliance should be fit for purpose over a reasonable lifespan: and 21/2 years isn't reasonable!
Go back to the shop and throw the CGA at them. You have every right to demand a replacement machine. My Kenwood is verging on antique, and still going strong.
My mother (aged 95 now) used HER Aunt's Sunbeam mixer for at least 20 years after her aunt died aged 85; many of these appliances are like the energiser battery: they keep going and going and going .

carriebradshaw, Mar 9, 7:03am
I love,love,love my Kitchenaid!I use it at least once a week and have never had a problem with it.

sit1, Mar 9, 9:16am
I have a kitchenaid , admittedly I have only had it since Dec, but I use it almost daily and for a wide variety of things.I love it, I have the platinum model with the glass bowl and the extra scraper flat beater. I love the glass bowl for making pavlova.The kitchenaid does the most amazing Pavlova ever, same recipe I used to use now produces twice the volume of pavlova! There are a lot of videos on the kitchnaid au site with demos etc, and some comparisons with other brands on youtube.

ribzuba, Mar 9, 7:27pm
I lost the receipt when we moved and it is the only appliance we have ever not bought fromNoel Leeming where they have them all catalogued on the computer! I know roughly the date it was purchased. Will I still be able to go complain!

welderman, Mar 10, 9:21am
i have a few comments to make, first, you state you are a chef, what sort of use does this machine get, you paid $600 it sounds like the basic 800 w chef. if you use this for a commercial use, it will only have a 3 month warranty.do you have a bank statement showing your purchase. kenwood have a 12 month warranty on there machines with a 5 year warranty on the motor. you can always call kenwood 0508200300. they are very helpfull.and lemming you dont know what you are talking about.cga says reasonable time.what is a reasonable time!