A lost bread recipe

samsnan, Mar 7, 4:17am
Years ago I used to make a Wholemeal loaf that was just mixed together in a bowl, put into the loaf tins and then left to rise before cooking. There was no kneading at all and it turned out lovely. Somehow I have misplaced the recipe and was hoping someone here would know of something similar. I got the recipe at a Bread cooking class and I am sure the lady would be long gone.

lx4000, Mar 7, 4:51am
Easy Healthy Bread

1 Cup plain flour
1 Cup wholemeal flour
1 Cup rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp salt

Mix above dry together.

Mix wet together to dissolve.

1 Tsp honey
1 1/4 Cup warm water
2 tsp yeast

Add dry mix to wet mix.
Mix well.

Spray oil around loaf tin and add dough. Spray top with oil and leave to rise for 30 or so mins.

Bake 180 for 35 to 40 mins.

Be warned! This IS A WET DOUGH !
I find if I wet my hands first, I can get the dough into the loaf tin without sticking to my hands.

I add sunflower seeds and raisins to the dry mix and its wonderful. This one you can add what ever to!

Easy as and fast, no kneading either!

katalin2, Mar 7, 5:37am
Is this the one! I have been using this recipe for over 30 years- never fails.
Easy Wholemeal Bread.
Ingredients
2 C warm water
1 T yeast
1 desert spoon sugar
3 C white flour
3 C w/meal flour
shake of salt
Instructions
Put water in bowl. Add yeast and sugar- place in sink of slightly warmer water to activate yeast. Grease 2 loaf tins thoroughly.
Remove bowl from sink, add flours and salt.
Put mixture into 2 tins, filling them no more than 1/2 full. Stand tins in warm place till risen to the top- about 20 minutes, may be longer in cooler weather.
Bake for 45 minutes 200 degrees.
Cool on rack.

samsnan, Mar 7, 5:49am
Thankyou to you both. katalin2 yours sounds like it could be nearly the right one.I am going to try them both over the weekend and will report back with the results. Both sound good.

samsnan, Mar 10, 10:39pm
katalin2 I have started to make your recipe but with only 2 cups of water to 6 cups of flour it is so dry I cant even mix it up. Is there a mistake somewhere. Or someone else may know. TIA
Looks like I may have to throw this lot out and start again.

indy95, Mar 10, 10:54pm
Samsnan, obviously I'm not katalin2 but I suggest you don't throw it out. Just add more water until the consistency looks right to you and then carry on with the recipe. I find this sometimes happens with bread recipes and it can depend on the type of flour used too.

samsnan, Mar 10, 10:57pm
Thanks indy95 I did wonder about adding more water. Will try that with warm water and see what happens. Seems such a waste of all that flour.

indy95, Mar 10, 11:03pm
Exactly, and who can afford to waste ingredients these days ! Please let us know how it turns out.

pickles7, Mar 11, 1:05am
maybe its this one.
No kneading, just mix up ingredients and let time do the kneading for you. Only requires a few minutes hands on time, but requires forward planning as can take up to 24 hours before its ready to bake.
Prep time:15 minutes
Cook time:45 to 55 minutes
Servings:2 loaf tins or 1 X 27 cm long,12.5 cm wide, 8.5 cm deep.
This bread stays fresh well, and will freeze

Ingredients:
½ cup kibbled wheat
¼ cup kibbled rye
4 cups high grade bread flour
1 cup whole meal flour
¼ cup rolled oats
½ cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsp Quinoa
3 Tbsp flax seed
3 Tbsp chia seeds
3 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp gluten
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast (yes thats right!)
3 teaspoons salt
2 & 1/4 cups cold water
1 cup of milk
1 tsp wine or cider vinegar

The tin I use is; 27 cm long,12.5 cm wide, 8.5 cm deep.
I did paint the tin with tin glide.
Tin glide:
melt 4ozs of fat add 1oz of vege oil, stir in 2 ozs flour. mix well. keep out of the fridge, in a cool place. You may need to melt and stir a bit to use.

Directions:
Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well (seeds are all optional)
Add water and vinegar
Mix well until a shaggy dough forms.
Cover bowl and dough with a plastic bag and leave in a warm place in winter or on bench in summer for 12 -18 hours to rise. Leave for longer if cold weather, it needs to have bubbles forming on the top of the dough when ready
When dough is bubbly on top, stir and fold dough over on itself once or twice, using a silicone spatula. It is a very wet sticky dough.
Cover and let rest about 15 minutes.
1. Using a spatula, gently shape dough into a ball, folding it over on itself, no kneading necessary.
2. Spoon the dough into the tin evenly. Tent the dough with a plastic bag, or up-turn a large plastic bowl over so as it dose not come in contact with the dough at all. Leave for at least 2 hours to near double in size.
3. Half an hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 220 deg C
5. Bake 45 to 55minutes . Remove from oven, tip bread onto a rack, cover with a tea towel and leave to cool. Do not slice until cool.
The quinoa and any of the seeds can be omitted, I prefer it with all of the seeds.

kiwiscrapper1, Mar 11, 1:50am
I use a bread maker and always need to add more water than the recipes states.

samsnan, Mar 11, 2:34am
Well its turned ok but will probably only be any good for toast.

indy95, Mar 11, 3:42am
I just realised the recipe is almost identical to the one I used to make and I always had to add extra water but it was very easy and the bread was lovely.

fecknellie, Mar 11, 6:29am
I am a real cheat, I have tried to make bread for ages, then bought a breadmaker, could still only use the bread as door stops. I was in pack n save and saw th Edmonds bread mix. Love this product, comes out just like bread from the bakery. Am right now trying to adjust it to wholemeal loaf. Yum 4cups breadmix, 1 sachet dried yeast, 300mls warm water, so easy

gojojo2, Mar 11, 7:56am
Must share my favourite fail proof recipe courstey of Annabel Langbein's The Free Range Cook - never, ever fails. So, so simple and fantastic result. This mix makes two loaves and they freeze well. Stays fresh for a few days and is gorgeous toasted.
http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/14548/busy-peoples-bread
I've never topped with the pumpkin seeds and not always use 2 C sunflower seeds (300g) - too expensive! One pack is enough. Hope you enjoy