Quinces and jam sugar

gayle6, Mar 11, 7:12am
Is it OK to use jam sugar in my quince jelly recipe! Last year I made three batches, two were great and one turned to runny toffee.

lurtz, Mar 11, 8:16am
Quince has a high pectin content so I use granulated sugar. You shouldn't need Jam sugar.

What a shame about your runny toffee quince jelly. If you made two successful batches,(using the same recipe), it'spossible that the batch that turned to runny toffee was overcooked. What a disappointment for you though! If you want to post the recipe (orrecipes) then maybe we can see what went wrong.

gayle6, Mar 11, 1:11pm
Yes, I think I did over cook the batch! Despite having a thermometer I still had difficulty knowing when setting point had been reached. The recipe I used was as follows.
1.5 kg Quinces
1.8 kg Sugar
2.8 litres Water
Juice of 2 lemons
Put all ingredients in pan and bring to the boil.Simmer for 3 1/2 hours without stirring until setting point is reached. Remove quince with a slotted spoon and bottle the jelly.
Your thoughts appreciated.

griffo4, Mar 11, 8:07pm
My recipe is cut up all of the quinces that is skin, core everything and put in water to just below quinces and boil up then strain through muslin and then next day measure liquid and add cup of sugar for every cup of liquid

But first you bring the liquid to the boil and give it a good boil for 5 minutes then add sugar and l boil for about 35 minutes and it should be ready l test it before that though until l have it setting
Hope that helps

lurtz, Mar 11, 8:40pm
Hi Gayle6, your method of jelly making is one that I haven't used, so I can't offer any suggestions. Maybe someone in this forum, who also uses your method,will be able to help.

I use a method similar to Griff4. I cook cut up quinces in water until very soft, and then mash them before straining. Once strained I add the sugar.Depending on the ripeness of the quinces, and the volume of quinces being processed, I find that the mixture reaches setting point quite quickly - generally about ten minutes at a brisk boil. I like to make asofter jelly, because I find that it tends to get firmer over time.There are full recipes for the straining method in this forum.All the best.

gayle6, Mar 22, 7:45am
Thanks Griffo4 I made to your recipes today and my quince jelly has turned out beautiful.I cheated by adding the juice from a lemon which I wont do next time as it reached setting point really quickly. Thanks also Lurtz for your suggestions, your positive feedback encouraged me to try the different and more traditional approach.