Baking with wholemeal flour only!

sarahw2, Feb 14, 1:15am
I have decided to do away with white flour.
Can I have any nice tried and true recipes with wholemeal flour only! My husbands only concern is that his muffins will be too dry with wholemeal, thanks in advance.

jessie981, Feb 14, 1:19am
Recipes in the lefthand message board. put wholemeal flour recipes under keyword then date posted, last year. Jo Seagar one & couple of others

kirmag, Feb 14, 1:59am
Did you know that wholemeal flour goes off quite quickly!I didn't - read it in a mag on Sat at the hairdressers so before my bread baking that day I checked the date on my bag.

uli, Feb 14, 3:09am
There is a lot of confusion in NZ about "whole meal" flour.

What you buy in the supermarket is NOT the whole grain milled. It is white flour and bran and that is why you can keep it in the heat on a shelf without it going off.

Real whole grains milled are going rancid in this type of weather right now in about 2 to 3 days. That is very unhealthy and you are better off to buy white flour instead.

However real wholemeal flour is rare in the shops and your best bet would be to buy it directly from either Ceres in Auckland or Chantals in Hawkes Bay - then put it into the freezer the moment you get it - that will be alreadynearly a week from milling to packing to sending to arriving.

Wholemeal flour is contrary to popular belief (to which I subscribed too for many years) not healthier than white flour. In fact if you do not use sourdough to counteract the anti nutrients of those grains then you are worse off than if eating white flour where the outer layers of the grain have been discarded.

As to recipes: You can sub wholemeal for white, you only have to add a bit more fluid.

clareo, Feb 14, 3:33am
The carrot cake I make is only wholemeal flour.

rj5, Feb 14, 5:40am
I change alot of my recipes and add wholemeal instead of white flour or half and half, the only thing is wholemeal is a little drier than the white flour so you don't add as much

sarahw2, Feb 14, 8:17am
Dang.I was just trying to bake healthier, but if its not "actually" healthier I will just stick with white.:-(

uli, Feb 14, 8:23am
It sure is NOT "healthier".

If you really want to be healthier then cut out grains altogether for a month or two - and then tell us how you feel :)

You might never go back to pasta, rice, flour, bread, baking etc.

knowsley, Feb 14, 8:26am
Or you can do what the majority of the worlds population do and enjoy eating grains and remain healthy. The anti-nutrient information is based on largely unproven ideas. The REAL science has shown grains, for the majority that tolerate them happily, to be fine.

maximus44, Feb 14, 9:01am
I have a copy of Cranks recipe book. They are a restaurant in London which was started around 1960. They only use wholemeal flour even in their sponges. I don't want to sell my copy but I have had a more modern version out of the library. Worth having a look. Good luck.

guest, Apr 2, 11:42am
Luther Scordato / My wife and i felt really ecatitsc Edward managed to conclude his inquiry out of the ideas he got from your very own web pages. It's not at all simplistic just to choose to be handing out ideas that many the rest might have been making money from. And we also fully grasp we need the website owner to give thanks to for that. Most of the explanations you have made, the easy site menu, the relationships you will help create it is many fabulous, and it is leading our son and the family know that this issue is entertaining, and that's incredibly serious. Thanks for the whole lot!

guest, Jan 11, 6:06am
I'm imsdpseer. You've really raised the bar with that.

guest, Jan 13, 12:52pm
Jacquelin Nemet / It is absolutely nhtiong to use individuals are trustworthy exhibit is without a doubt cursed . Most of these legal issues might contain took place with these without worrying about demonstrate. Fishers live life really hard resides, I think he's not the earliest or even ultimate coastal captain for getting transport to dejecting prison. I think they probably will not the past perhaps.

guest, Jan 14, 7:47pm
industrial training iodrne / Hello there I am so delighted I found your blog page, I really found you by mistake, while I was researching for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say many thanks for a remarkable post and a all round enjoyable blog.Please do keep up the excellent work.